1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Motorized pop out Ext. Cab windows

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Maverick8298, May 28, 2013.

1. Maverick8298

Maverick8298 New Member

What's up y'all, I've been thinking about somehow buying some electric motors from Radio Shack and wiring them up so I can open up the pop out windows in the "back" of my 2003 GMC ext. cab from a switch in the driver's seat. Has anyone heard of anybody else trying this with success? I've got an idea in mind, but before I buy motors and wires I'd like to get a second opinion and see what someone else has tried. Thanks.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

With the tightness of the window to the rubber molding and the way it snaps tight you may need some extra power to keep it tight with no water leaks.. If you can I would take a look at the rear power window of a Dodge Caravan
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

[MENTION=34858]Enkeiavalanche[/MENTION]: Snaps tight? Mine don't and never have. It's always weirded me out a little, actually.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

do they still clip towards the rubber? Take a pic of the latch..
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

They extend and close just fine and the seal has never been an issue, but they've never snapped or made what I'd consider highly positive contact when being closed. Both sides are like this. See photos, below.

And by the way, this isn't a threadjack, just a mild detour, as I've been wondering about motorized rear windows for a while, now. I see mini-vans that have this so I figure it can't be too tough to do for our trucks. The best angle, if there's no aftermarket kit (and I have yet to stumble on one) is likely to use mini-man motors out of a junked mini-van??? This is the only promising write-up I've seen ... and it details adding electric vent window motors to a mini-van that apparently had them as an option. (http://www.my-chevy-venture.com/power-rear-quarter-vent-window-motors.html) I have no idea if it'd work for our use, but I suspect it could, if implemented properly.

Closed:
    closed.jpg

Open:
    open.jpg
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

My first thought was using a set from a caravan too.
    They just use a rotating motor with a cam and short arm.
    The assembly tucks in close to the window and frame. I have a set somewhere in the garage I started setting up for my Tacoma, unfortunately they eouldnt fit between the window and the in cab roll cage so I gave up without expending a lot of energy on the project.
  7. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts

I wish mine would just pop out.