1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mountain Biking?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by Cheez, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Cheez

Cheez Member

Just recently started college here in La. I'm not to far from the Lincoln Parish Park in Ruston. From what I've heard they have a pretty well known trail. I love riding, it's a great stress reliever and and great way to see the fall tree (for now). Anybody else like to bike on here?
  2. ajarman

ajarman New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Cheez, I dabble in Mountain Biking here and there. Like you said, I enjoy it more in Fall and Spring. I ride a Giant Yukon with Shimano gears and clip ins. I have had the bike for almost 2 years and so far so good. I am wanting to step up to a 29'er but just not sure about a single gear. What do you ride?
  3. Cheez

Cheez Member

Well I just started so I really don't have the best bike, I just bought it mainly to get across campus. I have a 26" scwhinn with Shimano thumb shifters and gears. I'm thinking about upgrading soon to a Trek 3 or 4 series with disc brakes. You said you wanted a 29'er, one of my friends just bought a 29" Gary Fisher. That thing is beautiful, and from what I've heard it's a completely different riding experience.
  4. ajarman

ajarman New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The Trek's are really nice bikes. Once you upgrade to a bike with disc breaks you will never be able to ride a horse shoe again. Yeah, I have been looking at the Gary Fisher 29'er and I just can't fork out that much money these days.
  5. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside New Member

I don't mountain bike but I do ride some flatland BMX
  6. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 New Member 1000 Posts

I completely agree, Cheez. Mountain biking is a GREAT stress reliever. I got really into it for a while. I have a Trek 820 with Shimano XT hubs, Mavic rims, Shimano Altus rear derailleur, and clipless/platform pedals (clipless on one side and platform on the other... its a great way to provide extra functionality to your bike).

I used to go out quite a bit but I had a serious problem of continuing after several miles of riding had me pretty warn out. That's never a good idea because you lose concentration. I wrecked out and tacoed my front wheel (which led me to the purchase of XT hub/Mavic Rim set up). A few months later I took on a trail that was a little too advanced for me and I wrecked out pretty badly. Ended up flipping over my bike and tore every ligament in my left shoulder causing my clavicle to completely separate from my shoulder blade. It was the absolute worst pain I have ever felt (even worse than fracturing my ankle in 3 places playing high school football back in the day). Needless to say, I haven't been back out in a while. I'm sure I'll mount back up before too long, though!
  7. Cheez

Cheez Member

Sounds like a pretty nice setup you've got there. It sucks to hear about the injuries though, but I guess that comes with any type of physical exertion...
  8. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 New Member 1000 Posts

That's right... just part of the game, buddy. Like you, I just bought a decent bike for cruising around campus at Texas A&M during my freshman year. Then stuff kept braking so I would upgrade with better things. clipped a pedal on a tree so when I bought new pedals, I upgraded. Bent a wheel... upgraded. Etc. Etc. Etc.

What kind of mountain biking do you enjoy the most? Rocks, wood trails, steep grades, etc?
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

Heck, I wish I had known there were bicycle riders here(especially in Louisiana-I'm in River Ridge-suburb of NOLA)-I could have sold you guys some bikes.
    I'm an old gimp-59 and change- so I don't actually mountian ride(and I'm in south louisiana, so no mountains).
    I do ride everyday, and I've found a way to simulate mountains.
    I live about 1 mile from the Mississippi levee, so I ride there, and then proceed to ride up and down the levee for about 20 minutes. I used to just ride the path on top but I just couldn't push myself very hard riding on the level.
    I would just coast along daydreaming for 20 minutes or so.
    I've found it is impossible to just coast uphill-so I get a better workout. If I don't do something physical everyday my body just grinds to a halt and I get fatter and fatter(5'5" 185 +-so I am stumpy enough as it is)

Now if anyone out there is looking for a Giant NRS air -15.5 FRAME(SUITABLE FOR 5"5" TO 5'9") let me know.
    It has been upgraded-27 speeds-Shimano LX/XT parts with Hugi 240 hubbed disc wheels-let me know.
    I will let you STEAL it for a measly $500.
    Well, not a steal, but a decent enough price-dual suspension 100/120 Manitou fork(real steel coils springs-better feel than air springs)

I liken those Trek 800 series bikes- most Chrome Moly steel frames-rigid at both ends-They make great city/urban/trail do anything bikes bikes.
    Charlie
  10. Cheez

Cheez Member

Well in the big city of Ruston La it's mainly wooded with a little bit of rocky red clay type of dirt.

I may actually be interested in that bike. If you don't mind could you pm me the details and a few pics?