Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

MPG decrease, what could be the cause?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Pikey, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Over the last week I have noticed a drop in my MPG. My last road trip I was able to get 22 MPH on the freeway out of my 05 yukon xl. This trip I only got 17.9 mpg. I drove the same route, same speed, with the same weight. Tires are inflated to the same PSI. I have not added any mods to the truck since the last trip. I checked the plugs and they are new. The wires are new. I cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body. There is not a changeable fuel filter. It idles and runs smooth. I can't complain to much as I a still getting 16mpg in the city, which is well over the epa rated 13 mpg. But, I still want my highway mpg back. Today I will connect my programmer and run the monitor to see what my O2 sensors are reading and if anything looks out of the ordinary with those. Any ideas about what would cause an instant decrease would be appreciated.

I checked O2 sensor readings with my monitor while I drove. Both banks had the same reading. I did notice that the throttle percentage never went to 0, like my 02 did. It was always at 11% even with my foot off the gas and with the truck off. It does not have a tps like my 02 did. The hole were it was on my 02 is plugged on this truck.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. So if your positive you don't see a filter on the drivers side of the frame rail then you only have to change the one in the fuel tank. But before you go that route check your injectors. Same gas and station?

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had this same question.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yes, I filled up at the same station I always do and refilled it at the same station at my destination that I always do.

- - - Updated - - -

I just talked to the manager at the Gas station I filled up at. She said that last thursday they switched to the "winter Mix" gas. I saw the tanker leaving as I pulled in. I don't know if that has something to do with it.

5. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Also you can put that injector cleaner in your tank and it should fix it within a week. thats what my dad did with his to pickups that were running a little ****ty. And it worked good.

6. SurrealOne

I don't know the mix differences. I do know that I get 1-1.5MPG (depending on how I drive) more on the winter mix than I do on the summer mix. However, I'm also usually not running the AC in the winter, so I don't think it's just an issue of the mix...

7. sierra11

sierra11 Rockstar 100 Posts

Here's what I found on the mix gas

Cars using summer-blend gasoline spew fewer harmful emissions and get slightly better fuel economy than those using winter-blend gas during the summer months.
    The difference between conventional summer- and winter-blend gasoline has to do with the Reid Vapor Pressure of the fuel. RVP relates to the volatility of a gasoline. The more volatile a gasoline, the more likely it will evaporate as the temperatures rises; evaporated gasoline contributes to unhealthy ozone and smog levels. Summer gasoline has a low RVP and is less likely to evaporate when compared to the high RVP winter grade. The Environmental Protection Agency says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which contributes to the summer blend’s slightly better gas mileage.
    The Energy Information Administration says the switch between the two fuels happens twice a year, once in the fall (winter blend) and again in the spring (summer blend). Summer-blend gasoline is typically more expensive to produce than the winter blend, and it won’t affect vehicle performance or the durability of the engine and fuel system, according to the EPA.
    In many large cities as well as California and New England, the EPA requires the use of reformulated summer- and winter-blend gasolines. These RFGs contain oxygenates that lower RVP and other toxic chemicals even further than conventional gasoline.

1 person likes this.
  8. SurrealOne

Wow, good info, Sierra. I think that answers Pikey's question, outright. It also tells me that my AC use has a stupidly large impact on my fuel consumption and that it's the likely culprit for MPG declines in the summer -- not the mix.

I really appreciate you taking the time to dig that up and share it. Have some rep!

9. sierra11

sierra11 Rockstar 100 Posts

No problem at all, I was actually curious about that too cause I have never heard of different mixes. Haha thanks for the rep points!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  10. The 4 mpg discrepancy is not just from the change in blends...

The blends are for the different climates that we live in to prevent issues with fuel based on outside temps and also the laws on pollution levels allowed in your state.

Your truck would have been tuned at the factory for 87 octane most likely being a small block and some big blocks require 91, 92, 93 depending what part of the country you live in.

I'm not saying it's an octane issue more likely just dirt injectors and a couple of tanks with injector cleaner will probably fix it.

But I do know a guy who is a chemical engineer that went through the actual process of testing fuel from different stations for there octane rating and discovered that on 2 occasions the fuel he pumped was not at the actual octane value it should have been.

Thus affecting his tune and mpg.