1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

mpg help

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by newcheylover, Mar 8, 2013.

1. newcheylover

newcheylover Member 1 Year

I have a 2001 Silverado z71 5.3L 4x4 and am only averaging about 12.5 to 13 miles per gallon combined. I gave a cai and a hypertech max energy programer. Im trying to get a little better than factory specs but Idk were to go from here. Any ideas?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There has been a ton of threads on the forum about improving mpg. From reading most of them I have gathered that there is really nothing bolt on that is going to help. Sure a custom tune MAY net you 1-2 mpg increase or converting to E-fans may help a small amount. Bolt-ons promising major mpg gains are snake oil. The only thing that I have found to work with my 05 yukon xl, 4x4 5.3L is to drive like an old lady. Others will dispute this. My rule is, if the person behind me is not annoyed leaving a red light, then I am accelerating to fast. That is pretty crappy mpg. I get 19-21 on the highway and at least 16 in the city. Only time I get MPG as low as yours is if I am towing my boat.
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Yah that is low. A great way to save gas is use your cruise control. On my 96 it can boost my mileage on the hwy by 1-3 mpg. My truck usually gets about 12 city in the summer and 10 in the winter. Hwy either season is between 18-21.
    Here's some tips:

As [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] said be gentle on the gas and try to let the truck coast while in a neighborhood.

Take the route with the least stop signs and lights even if it has a lower speed limit because accelerating from stop uses a lot of gas.

Drive in 2wd as much as possible.

Brakes can hurt mpg if you ride them or if you always slam on them. Instead try a nice, slow, and smooth deceleration. (obviously this excludes hazardous situations)

Keep the truck in good operating condition. A dirty filter, bad O2 sensor or need for a fluid change can negatively effect mileage. Also synthetics are said to help MPG and help the truck run smoother on start up. Also keep tires properly inflated.

A warm truck gets better mileage than a cold one. If possible let the truck idle a bit before leaving in the winter it will help it get up to temperature which in turn saves fuel. Why? When the engine is cold it uses a preset fuel to gas ratio which tends to be rich, but once the O2 sensors warm up the truck switches to getting the air fuel ratio from data it gathers.
  4. newcheylover

Im not looking for a bolt on item per say but im just wondering is there anything I can do to bring it back up? I got New plugs and wires and cleaned out the tb and maf but no improvement. It seems to have a bit of a mis but I cant find anything wrong so im stumped.
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Are you using Delco plugs and parts?
  6. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I get a little better m.p.g when i dump a 8 dollar bottle of seafoam in the tank, but are you really saving any money that way? It might help you with that mis your having. Make sure your tires are aired up, that always bites me in the butt. She will drive it a week with a tire that has 18 psi in it.
  7. newcheylover

I did do the seafoam treatment threw the brake booster, gas tank and crank case and it seemed to help with start up but not the idle. I use seafoam on alot and its worth the money but you only put it in the tank ones every few months to clean the injectors

- - - Updated - - -

Would a clogged fuel filter cause low milage?