1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

MPG on 2005 2500HD 6.0L V8

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bcms6, Jan 13, 2012.

1. bcms6

bcms6 New Member

On my first calculation, I got 10.8 MPG. This is 75% city with auto transmission, 4.10 rear end. no towing.

Does this sound about right?
  2. sounds about right! I have a 2011 and get 12 MPG (US Gallon). I say US as I am a Canuck! This is off my Iphone app. I can drive with a real soft right foot, keeping it under 2000rpms and do a lot better.
    The fuel mileage is directly related to my right foot.
  3. Corso

Corso New Member

Sounds spot on.
  4. 613werley

613werley New Member

i have same setup with 265/75/16 tires. i get 11.5 around town and 14 on a trip.
  5. bcms6

bcms6 New Member

Thanks folks.
  6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

sounds about right for in town driving
  7. So we are in a cold snap weather is @ -12C and getting a bit worse mileage, Not huge difference but I have noticed it. About 0.5 mpg worse
  8. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

Wow that MPG scares me...... I am looking at a 2500 and I was debating on the 6.0L gas or the 6.6 Turbo Diesel....... if thats what people are getting in the 6.0L gas then I am going to avoid that all together when I make my 2500 purchase. ( I mean I know its not going to be a prius ) but 10-12 is really bad.:lol:
  9. I Can't disagree with you nakranj. But:neutral: !

So to be totally upfront It was cold and it was all city driving. What I got a few weeks ago all highway driving with cruise set, 60-65mph and just wife and I was almost 17mpg. I'm not really upset with the mileage I'm getting, as I stated before, it is directly related to the right foot pressure.
    When I had my 09 with the 5.3 it seemed a bit more forgiving with the right foot. If one needs a 2500hd one needs it and your choices are Diesel or Gas. Yes I agree that it uses more than I want but the trade off for me is SAFELY pulling my 9000# Travel Trailer. I also use it back and forth to work about 15 miles a day.
    I just hope the juice doesn't hit 10$ a gallon!:lol:
  10. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

I here ya.

When I bought the 1500, I could get premium for $0.89 per gallon... I could fill up 24-27 gallons for under $30. In comparison...... (percentage wise) My parents 1998 4cyl. toyota camrey cost them under $15 to fill up in 2000, now it is $45 ( shock to them ). I guess with a truck we expect to pay more. I think if it does go much higher than it is now, there will be a breaking point when allot of gas stations will fold cause no one will be going to them.

I will work from home as much as possible..... unless I get a gas allowance/ or a large pay raise, you won't see me in the office much.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012