MPG on new body style leveled GMC or Chevy's

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by undertheradar, Nov 9, 2011.

1. AnimalYates

AnimalYates Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

My 5.3 Sierra is leveled and I always get about 14.4-14.5 MPG (All city driving.) This is with a steady balance between a heavy and light foot. Could be better, could be worse.

2. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 Rockstar 100 Posts

Well i have 285/45/22 tires with a leveling kit and im getting 14.7 average with 9k miles on the truck

3. larryleeUSN

larryleeUSN Rockstar 100 Posts

when you changed the tires you changed the ratio. even though you were checking it yourself and not relying on the DIC to do it for you you probably still didn't taker into consideration your speedo was off so that puts your mileage off when you check it. you would have to find out the percentage your new tires thru off your calibration and throw that into the equation. with you programmer you prolly didnt gain that much due to it just re calibrating everything to make it easier for you to calculate.

4. larryleeUSN

larryleeUSN Rockstar 100 Posts

oh and tread wear also depends on rim width. if you run it on a proper rim on one to skinny or wide, weight of truck driving habits/style and so on... pressure on the sidewall isnt always the best but i normally run that 90% of what it recommends. you just have to play with your PSI and write it down or remember it if you have a good memory. every truck and tire/rim combo are different. you have to figure that on your own don't go by word of mouth on that.

5. lquattro04

lquattro04 Rockstar

Yes, I know. I always do the calculation for the bigger tires when checking mpg. I used a calculator online to find the speed difference. It said that when my speedo read 65 I was actually going 67 so I use this formula: ( (67/65) x mileage) / gallons = mpg

I actually just came back from OBX again and averaged 17-18 mpg down and back. I still get approx. 15 mpg around town, sometimes a little less if I have a lead foot that week lol.

6. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I get just under 15 with 305/60/18 cooper stts, cai,free flow exhaust, and diablo 93 tune. Afm was also off

7. lquattro04

lquattro04 Rockstar

I probably should've mentioned that I also run the performance setting which requires 93 octane. My tires are 305/45/22