MPG with 20" vs 22"

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bhsballer76, Aug 30, 2011.

1. bhsballer76

bhsballer76 Member

Looking to get somw new wheels to replace my factory 16" wheels. Wondering if i would get and worse mpg with 22" wheels vs 20" inch wheels??

Thanks.

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I don't think you'll see that much in MPG's between the 20's and 22's. You most likely will see a drop with the larger tire over the 16" tire.

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Assuming the overall tire size stays the same, a change in rim size should only produce an immeasurable change in MPG.

4. silveradotrailblazer

I'm assuming the 16" is stock size tire/wheel. I'm sure the 20 or 22 wheel will have a wider heavier tire. We saw a mpg loss when we went from the factory 16" wheel on my wifes Trailblazer to the 20" with the wider tire. The outside diameter of both tires are the same just a wider 20" tire.

5. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

like crawdaddy says
    if the outside tire diameter stays the same, there really should not be a difference
    but assuming you will be putting a wider tire on then that might cost you an mpg or two,
    but also take note wider tire = better ride, handling, traction
    so you decide what you want the most...

oh and 20 vs 22, no difference at all in mpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  6. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

whatever you lose in mpg is well worth the improved ride and handling in a wider tire.

7. silveradotrailblazer

X2 what sstoner911 said .