MPG with Active Fuel Management

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 08SilveradoWT, Apr 11, 2008.

1. 08SilveradoWT

08SilveradoWT New Member

Hello Everyone,

For those of you equipped with Active Fuel Management, I'd like to know what highway MPG you all are getting. Earlier this year I purchased an 08 Silverado WT, 4.3L v6 for commuting purposes. I thought getting the 4.3L v6 would give me the best MPG (as far as full sized trucks are concerned). I'm beginning to wonder if I should have put out more money to get a bigger engine with the Active Fuel Management especially since most of the driving I do is freeway driving. Look forward to hearing from you all!

Thanks!
  2. zach45

zach45 New Member

i have 1500 lt1 4xw with z71
    i get 10-11 city and something like 18-20 highway i think..

and i have a heavy foot.. no bed cover or antyhing yet
  3. Danimal

Danimal New Member

I have an '08 1500 with the 5.3 V8 and I averaged 16.5 the first tank and 17.1 the second tank. This a combination of city and a little highway. No interstates at 65 mph. Just 55 mph highways.
  4. Slick1219

Slick1219 New Member

Regularly see 20's on the highway in both the heavy '07 avalanche (wife's) and my heavier '08 suburban
  5. RatRod

RatRod New Member

I have an 08 with the 4.3 and with 5000 miles on it I am getting close to 21 mpg combo driving.
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

Everyone, If you have AFM, post what your MPG is.
  7. JKEY817

JKEY817 New Member

I have 08 tx edition with the 5.3L, 1st tank got 15 but a lot of city, showing everyone my truck
    2nd tank got right at 20 with more hwy, the dealership told me after the 1st 1000 miles the truck should be getting around 22-23 on hwy if I drive it right.
  8. branhap

branhap New Member

I'm getting 15 in the city, and 18-20 on the highway, but that is highway with mountain passes, so your mileage may vary.

Paul
  9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

That's pretty good. Everyone wants to get better MPG these days. I'd expect to see more Active Fuel Management options on more models in the future ... as well as hybrid options.
  10. sheep

sheep New Member

wow, with all the money that im spending in gas every month it would almost even out if i bought a brand new truck with this AFM system on it lol i get like 13 city 18 highway, thats if im easy going
  11. branhap

branhap New Member

Also depends on the traffic you have to drive through. To be honest, my commute to work is 1.3 miles each way. My biggest traffic jam is if the cows are in a certain pasture, they have a tendency to escape and slow stop up the road until somebody gets out and corrals it back into the pasture..

I do drive light footed with the truck.

Although, this past weekend, we took a trip to Denver with my wife's equinox. we saw about an extra 2 to 3 mpg on the trip. The only difference was when we started out we got gas at the local shell station instead of the cheapy gas place. (Again differences here are minor... cheapy gas place gets his gas from the same supplier, as we have only one supplier of gas to our town regardless of the station type.) So our cheapy gas place has "quality" gasoline, just appears that the additives they throw in at the station may have made the difference. Or we had a hell of a tail wind. :) Who knows.

Made the entire trip from Riverton to Denver on a single tank We normally have to fill up in Fort Collins hour drive north of Denver). Sometimes during the winter, we've had to fill up in Laramie (Hour drive north of Ft. C!.)

Ok that was to many parenthesis explanations. I'm sorry. I'll go umm :sign0023:

Paul
  12. kwj427

kwj427 New Member

milage

hi all,
    i got around 16 mpg average on my first tank, but i am getting a little better than 17 on the fourth tank?
    kenny
  13. sweetdawg99

sweetdawg99 New Member

well i've got a 08 with the 5.3 with active fuel management and i am getting around 17.1 mpg highway and city combined. Though bear in mind that is with the AC running most of the time. Not sure if having the condenser on affects the AFM system or not. for the most part i am really really lightfooted with the truck (drives my girlfriend nuts by the way) but i am still hoping to see an increase as i just installed an extang trifecta tonneau cover.

either way i have a 3 mile trip to my job at the lab so its not gonna break the bank if it stays around 17.

thats all for now
  14. 08SilveradoWT

08SilveradoWT New Member

Thank you all!!

Thank you all for your responses!! Kinda seems like we're all getting about the same mileage with or without the active fuel management.