Mpg

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Chevy #1, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Chevy #1

Chevy #1 New Member

I have a 2003 5.3 silverado 1500 z71 and it gets Abt 15 mpg and I was wondering what are some of the cheapest ways to boost your mpg
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

realistically there isnt. Hypermiling could help a little.
  3. Cowpie

Cowpie Member

The most effective way to ever increase mpg is driving style. It has been shown in studies on commercial fleets, that the driver accounts for 33% of the variable to good mpg.

Now, that being said, the next best thing after that would be an engine ECM tune. Stock ECM settings are very conservative to account for just about any variable in driving situations and customer use or abuse. A good ECM tune will bring out more of what the engine can do and maybe give you 1-2 mpg average better. But here again, it can be wasted away if driving style is not watched.

No, you do not have to drive around like grandma to get decent numbers. You would be surprised how watching further ahead of you, watching how others are driving, slowing down a little sooner for that off ramp instead of starting down it at full road speed, pacing yourself for traffic lights, etc can really make those mpg numbers rise. Of course, that also means not using the traffic lights for your cheap version of NHRA staging lights. Kinda stupid to rocket out of one traffic light just to get stopped by the next one. You can still run down the road at 70 on the freeway and get good numbers, if you watch everything else like described.

Does it work? I get 20% better fuel mileage in my semi truck than the trucking industry national average by following these simple techniques. I am getting just a little lower, in my 2013 Silverado Z71 5.3L, than the mpg you are getting now with your ride...... using E85 in mine. I use that because the price differential in my area is great enough that even with the lower mpg of E85, my actual cost per mile for fuel is 3 cents a mile lower than using regular. At least based on averages I have gotten with both fuels in my pickup.
  4. Chevy #1

Chevy #1 New Member

Thanks for your help
  5. poncho62

poncho62 Member

Known fact....Trucks suck gas

I find with mine, that highway driving gets much, much better mileage than city stop and start driving.....tons better. Also, winter driving sucks more gas.
  6. Cowpie

Cowpie Member

Now that's true. Winter fuel can really make one cry over their mpg. Just something that is what it is. Winter fuel is a different blend that is going to yield less mpg. Actually I have found a unique thing. E85 price differential is not as great vs. winter regular fuel. But E85 in winter, is actually E70 and yields slightly better mpg than the summer blend. The winter regular yields a lower mpg. In the summer, it is all reversed, but the price spread is greater. In the final analysis, even though I get lower mpg overall using E85, my actual cost per mile using it is cheaper year round. Now to be fair, that is my area of the country, and I live in corn belt central where this stuff is being made. Other areas of the country, not going to work out the same.
  7. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 New Member

I can hold close to 19 if I drive well in the summer time, when winter sets in, its 17 something. low 17"s that is. I am not unhappy with that, my trailblazer would not exceed 18.1 with a V6, I run 8 cyl mode all time on my 5.3 silvy.
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

As said before.. It's a Brick on wheels Your not going to get much over what you get now. Me with my 20's on I avg 14.6 with my stock 14.7-8 I'm happy and I drive it like a Vette..[​IMG]
  9. Cowpie

Cowpie Member

What it truly sad, is that my semi truck, loaded up to 80,000 lb, will still bust 7 mpg on an average day. If we broke that down on a per weight basis, these pickups should easily be in 30+ mpg territory, even accounting for the fact they are gas fed. Something like the Duramax should be in 40+ mpg territory. There are many commercial straight trucks, easily 3 times the weight of the standard 2500 with a Dmax, that are getting close to the same mpg as many 2500's with a Dmax.

Someone is messing up at GM, and we are paying for it.
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

This is true My 26ft Hino gets a Avg 8.80 and I drive the hell out of it down to Md and del every night...Cruz is kept at about 68-73 on the tpk

truck.jpg