1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mud/Clay in waterjacket [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by TrailLeadr, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

So back in July when gas prices started to get out of hand (at least in RI) I decided to do a run of the mill tune up, and figured I'd adjust the timing for optimal performance. While reaching around that pesky quick release to get to the distributor bolt, I bumped the quick release, and it snapped, leaving the threads in the manifold. I tried to use a reversed bit to back the threads out, unfortunately no luck. Being ever the practicing optimist, I tried to look at this as an opportunity, not a setback. So I decided now was just as good a time as any to replace the cam with something a little more beefy in the torque dept. Lets just say that opened up a whole new can of worms. My cam bearings were worn (as should be expected) but they were also cracked. Again trying to be the optimist I figured I could still do this job with the engine in the truck. I should have realized that I wouldn't be able to get the oil pan out to get the bearings out because of the front axle.

So now, it's been forever, or at least it seems that way. I finally got my hands on an engine hoist, and I have the engine out, since it's out, I'm stripping it and rebuilding. Funny how this whole thing started with a simple quick connect that broke off. :)

I just rotated the block in the stand, and out of the water jacket fell a couple clumps of what looks like packed clay. When I looked in the jacket, I found an even bigger clump that needed to be broken up to fall out. Now I'm curious, is that something I should have expected with an engine that has over 200k miles? There have only been three owners of this truck, and I can account for two of them, the third being the original owner.

Could this be stop leak that someone put in the radiator at some point?
    Now I'm thinking about flushing out the water jacket, since having globs of crud in the block is certainly going to affect cooling.

I just never expected to see something like that. :?

Is this something anyone who does a high mileage rebuild should look for?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

RE: Mud/Clay in waterjacket

?? It could be something like that. Stop leak or some other type of similar product. Maybe someone got mad at them and poured sugar or something in the oil filler???
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.