1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Muffler Delete???

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by BlueEagle, Apr 29, 2010.

1. BlueEagle

BlueEagle Member

I've been running the idea through my head to do a muffler delete on my truck. I'm not to knowledgable on how this would effect the trucks preformance. Would you guys ok such a job or is it going to throw off codes and cause drops in preformance. Also how load is the 6.0s with no mufflers.

Sorry if I sound stupid asking this question, just need some opinions. Thanks guys.
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You shouldnt get any codes for taking off the muffler, I understand the cost reason for not buying one but is there any other reason you wouldnt put on a magnflow, flowmaster, etc......
  3. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I was told no back pressure is bad on the valves.
  4. sharpshooterusmc

sharpshooterusmc Rockstar 100 Posts

i have no mufflers on my 6.0 and i love it, it has a deep sound and it crackles when u get on it and when the pedal is to the floor, everyone is gunna know cuz it is pretty dam loud
  5. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

My truck has had straight pipes for years and runs great and sounds awesome. Straight pipes arent bad for your motor. They just cant be too short because if they are, your motor will suck in cold air and warp exhaust valves.
  6. bigdaddy77084

So I take it Ya'll dont get the yearly emission/saftey testing required by the state??You have to in Texas
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  7. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Luckily we dont have to in the state of Arkansas.
  8. sharpshooterusmc

sharpshooterusmc Rockstar 100 Posts

louisiana only has the emissions test in certain parishes, im in the marine corps and stationed in california, i get pulled over on a weekly basis but they cant do anything cuz my truck is registered in LA
  9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I have straight pipes on my truck.. HOwever in 1988 the Cat was the size of a house so it is still as quiet as my buddies 96 chevy with true duals and flowmasters.
    In MN there arent any emissions testing however the police are pretty tight on noise polution.
  10. bigdaddy77084

If ya take off the muffler it shouldnt effect the emissions, right??