1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

muffler fell off!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by reggiecab2000, Jul 31, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

ive had an exhaust leak for a few months now, corrosion that broke through at the exhaust hangar about 1 foot in front of the muffler, been nothing more than a nice 2 inch hole or so until yesterday on the way from san antonio to corpus christi, i was driving about 65 with my son in the front seat and all of a sudden...

exhaust 2.jpg

exhaust 3.jpg

huge dragging metal noise, didnt know what the hell it was, so i pulled over off I-37S looked under my truck and bam there it was. That exhaust leak i had broke through and the muffler nose dived. thank god that I had a mini sledge on me and a knife so i just cut one exhaust hangar off (the bolt ladder looking kind with a piece of rubber between them) i cut it through the rubber obviously, and the other hangar was the typical "hangar" once i cut the other one and knocked it loose with the sledge, i just slid it off the "L" rod and threw it in the bed of my truck (took about 15 minutes) thank god my father helped me recharge my A/C the day before or my son would have been roasting in my truck while i was doing that...

moral of the story???

fix your damn exhaust leak when it happens!
    my dad aint gonna leave me alone now lol
    quick side note that flowmaster muffler is 10 years old!!! been from Texas to washington DC, to Bangkok, Thailand for 3 years, then back to San antonio for a few years, then with me to college down here in corpus christi, texas. yeah my truck has been around, but time to replace it now!
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

coulda been worse!

Alex
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That's both funny and not funny at the same time!
  4. reggiecab2000

finally got it fixed guys :)
    went to a local muffler shop and got a new flowmaster "10" series, took less than an hour heres some pics...
    photo 4.jpg

welding seemed very nice, and they triple checked for leaks everywhere
    photo 3.jpg

however i noticed that when they dumped it it was dumped literally about 4 inches in front of the axle and was practically dumping all the exhaust onto the axle, so i asked them about it 2 days later if it was safe or not, and the owner checked it out, i was asked for his honest opinion if i should worry about my axle heating up where it dumps, and he said it did seem pretty close, so he took my truck popped in right in the shop, and took about 6 inches of the main pipe, no charge, great service, heres an updated picture, i know you really cant tell but it does seem better to me
    photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

the muffler is very smooth on my engine and i love the sound, nothing too crazy, although it is a "10" series, it is on a V-6 remember, I think it is a great sound for me, not harsh at all and resembles the rumble of a V-8 at idle (my optimistic thinking :happy:)
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  5. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Let this be a lesson... Always keep a wire coat hanger on hand!LOL!!!
  6. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Glad you got it fixed. Everything is still intact under my '01 but I am starting to think about putting a new muffler in it, a lot like the new one you just got installed. I am looking for both improved air flow and some sound. I have lost count as to how many times several of my friends have commented on how quiet my truck is and it's a V-8!
  7. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Speaking of exhausts, does anyone know the diameter of the stock exhaust tubing for 2001 Silverado? I am about to buy a Flowmaster muffler and Amazon insists that it is 3" but I went out and measured my tubing. I swear it's 2.5".
  8. stratct

stratct New Member

That muffler looked a bit ashy in color no? Maybe just the pics?
  9. reggiecab2000

10. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

HMM how did I miss this one? I'm thinking about getting a little 10 series on my truck.