GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Multi-page Thread Issues 2013

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by dobey, Jan 3, 2013.

1. dobey

dobey Member

I'm not sure what's going on exactly, but there is some really weird behavior with threads, when they overflow onto a new page, and there are only a couple of posts on the new page. I'll click on the next page, last page, or page number links, and will get taken to a completely different thread, in a different forum. What is going on?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

This tends to happen with threads whose titles/subjects end in digits. I have no idea why, but those are the only ones with which I see that behaviour.

@Pikey? @Enkeiavalanche? @moogvo? You guys aware of this? It's been around for a long time...
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

I just saw this for the first time on my post about the E-15 gas.. I go to page 2 and I see a OLD post about Steve talking about 06 Chevy's.....
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Renaming the thread so that it doesn't end in a digit will probably correct it. Give it a try?
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Done.. you were right...
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Steve kinda needs to fix that bug. It's pretty clear it's a logic problem in the thread navigation code and since the nature of the problem (i.e. trailing digit in thread subject/title) is known and a workaround exists, it should be easy to isolate and fix.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Well, now I know how to fix it. I have run into it multiple times lately.
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

It definitely sounds like it's a bug in the forum code. Unfortunately, this isn't running on code Steve wrote and is very complex. Perhaps there is already a fix for the code he can implement to fix it. However, in the mean time, the other Moderators and myself will keep an eye out for threads that have numbers at the end and rename them accordingly.
  9. dobey

dobey Member

Thanks all.
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Rename them all!!!! :gasp: J/K We will look into it.....
  11. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

This should no longer be an issue. If you can show me a URL where it's still happening, please let me know and I'll look at the code.

- - - Updated - - -

The history of this "bug" really isn't a bug. We tried a mod-rewrite tool on here at one point that gave the system better looking URLs and it allowed linking to be done better. The problem? That was the tool that allowed hackers to come in and take over the server back in September 2010!

To keep the system running properly, we have a .htaccess re-write that looked for certain things in the code and will re-write them as needed, but this is a big issue if (and only if) the url ends in a number. I thought I took that code out at some point, I'm surprised that there are still issues with it.

- - - Updated - - -

... ok, I just tested this by adding 2013 to the end of a thread title and took me to showthread.php/2013-blah-blah-blah ... so I guess I didn't get all of the .htaccess code cleaned up. I'll get that done later today at lunch maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE: I looked at the redirections and they got added back in somehow. I must have done a backup and then put in the old redirect file by mistake. We should no longer see any of the threads ending in numbers (like this one is now) being redirected to a different thread when you click on the thread page numbers.