1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Multiple engine codes on 04 Colorado: PO300 and PO506-running rough

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by tom ruth, Jul 7, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. tom ruth

tom ruth New Member

Hi Guys: First Post: I have had an engine code for a few months: PO300 and PO506....the probable causes are listed as:
    vacuum leak, dirty throttle body, IAC motor defective, poor connection to IAC valve, injector fault, high or low fuel pressure. It's idling rough and seems to be getting poor mileage. So many places to start that it's a little overwhelming. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Novice, but trying hard to get better at DIY

Tom in Florida

2004 Colorado 5 cylinder,,,,110,000 miles
  2. TexasTechRaider

TexasTechRaider New Member 100 Posts

Welcome to the club!!

I would defiantly try to clean the throttle body, as someone else on the forum had the same issue. I don't remember the thread so I cannot provide a link, sorry.
  3. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club!
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! :great: I agree with TTR, clean the throttle body first, as it is inexpensive (need to buy cleaner) and doesn't take long. Maybe clean the mass airflow sensor while you're at it...
  5. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member 100 Posts

Gonna add on to this by saying to clean your MAF sensor with a fast dry electronics cleaner. NOT ELECTRIC PART CLEANER... the electric parts cleaner leaves a nasty residue and as important as a MAF is to the computer.. you dont want that. Most likely you wont find the electronics cleaner at your local parts store, but rather a local electrical parts supplier.

If that doesn't work (not sure how mechanically inclined you are but,) you may try pulling the IAC valve off and checking to see if its gummed up or anything as I've seen that a few times myself.

I've also seen the PCV valve cause funky codes to be shown as well.

Or if all else fails.. pull the motor and replace it with a 5.3 :rofl:

Welcome to the forum! Keep us posted on what ya find bud!
    :sign0021:
  6. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club Tom, it's good to have you with us. :glasses:

7. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

****Thread Moved****

Welcome to the Club!!! See if the information below is helpful.

P0300:
    Symptoms may include:

• the engine may be harder to start
    • the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
    • other symptoms may also be present
    Causes

A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

• Faulty spark plugs or wires
    • Faulty coil (pack)
    • Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
    • Faulty fuel injector(s)
    • Burned exhaust valve
    • Faulty catalytic converter(s)
    • Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
    • Faulty camshaft position sensor
    • Defective computer
    Possible Solutions

If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.
    If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. Check spark plugs, sparkplug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. In other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.
    Random misfires that jump around from one cylinder to another (read: P030x codes) also will set a P0300 code. The underlying cause is often a lean fuel condition, which may be due to a vacuum leak in the intake manifold or unmetered air getting past the airflow sensor, or an EGR valve that is stuck open.

P0506:
    Possible causes
    - Dirty throttle body
    - Electric throttle control actuator misadjusted or damaged
    - Faulty Electric throttle control actuator
    - Intake air leak
    - Poor electrical connection to the Intake Air Control (IAC) valve[​IMG] Help with this

Tech notes
    If there are no intake leaks, clean throttle body, adjust engine idle and erase engine code. If the code comes back you may have to replaced the Electric Throttle Control Actuator (Motor) to repair the problem.
    Service Support Bulletin:

When is the code detected?

The idle speed is less than the target idle speed by 100 rpm or more.

Symptoms
    - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
    - Engine hard to start
    - Rough or erratic idle speed

P0506 GMC Description
    The Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the engine idle speed to a specified level through the fine adjustment of the air, which is let into the intake manifold, by operating the electric throttle control actuator. The operating of the throttle valve is varied to allow for optimum control of the engine idling speed. The ECMcalculates the actual engine speed from signals of crankshaft position sensor (POS) and camshaft position sensor.

The ECM controls the electric throttle control actuator so that the engine speed coincides with the target value memorized in the ECM. The target engine speed is the lowest speed at which the engine can operate steadily. The optimum value stored in the ECM is determined by taking into consideration various engine conditions, such as during warming up, deceleration, and engine load (air conditioner, power steering and cooling fan operation, etc.)

8. tom ruth

tom ruth New Member

Thank you guys for your generous tips on the engine codes. The cleaning of the throttle and the MAF worked wonders. As I am a novice, it was pretty gratifying to not have to take it in and get gouged.

Tom