Must Have Modifications? Name yours!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by taggat, Dec 2, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. taggat

taggat New Member

Hey guys, new to the forums here and a new owner of my first 99 GMC Suburban K1500.
    I am curious as to what you pros would consider MUST have modifications to your rigs?
    IM curious to junk yard upgrades as well because that green doesnt grow on trees.

Im thinking my first is the removal of the annoying door chimer buzzard.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Some sort of programmer. I have a canned JET tune. But, would love to get a Dieblew Tune at some point. i see a slight increase in mpg and power with the JET tune, I would think that a custom tune would net better results.
    I would have never thought that I would say this, but suspensions upgrades made a major difference in my truck. The combo of Bilstein shocks and springs with new HelWig anti-sway bars made my truck handle and ride like I never thought would be possible with a Yukon XL.
    Exhaust is on my next upgrade wish list. But, with 3 kids and one income things only get upgraded when the stock parts are broken. So, that will have to wait until my exhaust rusts out or fails in some way. My wife wants an exhaust upgrade and a lift kit. (She would like to see 38's under this truck also!) I just can't justify spending the money on those things now.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  3. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

That buzzer is an easy one. It's a black box about 2" long by 1" wide, and about 5/8" thick. It is just to the left of the steering wheel. Pull it straight down. If the thing stops dinging, you got the right box.:happy:

I took mine out, and promptly left the lights on while I was in the Winn-Dixie.:rofl:
  4. grampy

grampy New Member 100 Posts

In my little corner of the world a good stout grill guard or complete front bumper / guard combo is usually the first thing. Bambi & friends are suicidal and there's lots of them !!!! Not that a grill guard will always save your vehicle from at least some damage - but almost always the vehicle will get you home, as opposed to arriving hours late "on the hook" ( if you can get one !). Second on my list is a mechanical locker in the rear, I run a pair of them in my Willy's and a Power Trax in the rear of my '97 K2500. Bought an '07 2500HD last spring, will be putting a rear locker in it this winter. Another one for us in the sometimes "chilly" north is a block heater !!! Those just make life a lot easier on man and machine. I like "Purdy stuff" and performance too, but I gotta put functional first !! KEN
  5. taggat

taggat New Member

Right on guys thats the stuff Im talking about!

@Pikey
    Gaining some mpgs would be great Im averaging 12.8 right now mostly highway and county roads, with what IM guessing is some clogged oem cats.
    That was with a full tank though, should be able to gain some using the half tank method.

@Dana
    Thanks for saving me the time reading the diagrams!
    Yanking it out during lunch today.
    When you say left you mean drivers side of the column or ?
    Ever since I opened the hood ive been looking at the empty additonal battery tray. :great:

@grampy
    Im use to my old jeep, never got it stuck in normal couple feet of snow but Im wondering how well itll perform on loose gravel at the rivers edge.
    If its a slippin around this summer getting boats in and out Ill definetly be looking into upgrading the differential. Bambi guard would be nice addition.

Ill be getting a cassette to mp3 adapter soon to get my tunes rolling as my Cd player doesnt work.
    Maybe Ill get a dvd player for the kids with some sort of multiport headphone jack so I dont hear spongecrack or doratheannoyer on those 3hr drives south for christmas! haha

Function over Form.
  6. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

The dinger is on your military left, the driver's side.:happy: My previous owner moved some stuff around in there to install a trailer brake control box, so yours may not be a straight down pull. It'll still be in the same location, almost directly behind the OBDII connector, and up behind a bit.
  7. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 100 Posts

Brakes tires and suspension.
  8. taggat

taggat New Member

[MENTION=62457]BurbanMan[/MENTION]
    Ive noticed this rig has quite a bit of roll at low speed cornering and highway speeds.
    Any suggestions on sway bar bushings?

Brand of Shocks for typical road conditons?
    Ive heard Monroes are not the best but they seemed to do great on my ford e250 cargo van.
    As far as how long they last Im not sure never had a vehicle that long to determine.
  9. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

Don't put anything there without extensive research. It's not as simple as a battery and a couple of cables. Not that it won't work that way, as long as you are red to red and black to black, it's just that having two batteries on the same circuit only gets you the benefit of being able to use up two batteries as fast as one.
  10. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 100 Posts

monroe are good shocks for the money. I.e. They are happy medium between cost and efficiency. The old saying holds true. You get what you pay for. With that being said, I do a lot of shopping on eBay to find good name products for a better price. I'm going to run coil over type shocks on the rear of my suburban since I tow a lot and only have 1/2 ton springs (for now lol). Energy suspension and prothane (spelling?) are both good for poly bushings. However, replacing old worn bushings with even the rubber type will get you better handling. You will be rather surprised at what results are yielded to replacing 10yo bushings. I for one will spend the extra coin on poly any day. It last longer and doesn't squish as much as rubber making your chassis stiffer. A larger sway bar will also decrease the amount of roll your experiencing. However, your in a truck. It's going to handle like one unless it's on a corvette chassis lol