1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Musty Odor from A/C

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MWright936, Oct 26, 2008.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Lately, I've been noticing a musty smell when I turn on my air conditioner after my truck has been sitting for a while. Once the air is on for a while, it is fine, but after it sits for a while, it smells again. Does anybody know what could be causing this?? Is there something I can clean?

2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

hmm.... Have you driven through high water latley?

3. MWright936

Nope, never. It's rained, but I wasn't even driving in it.

4. 04sierracrewcab

hmm i really dont know.. .. is it still blowing as cold as before and as hard??
    ..its kinda funny how we still need our ac but theres some guys on here that are going to have to shovel some snow in the am to get there truck out of their driveway :lol:

5. MWright936

:lol: yeah, no joke.

Yeah, it still blows cold as ever and as hard as ever. It just stinks when it first comes on.

6. 04sierracrewcab

i guess that rules out some sort of leak. my sugestion would be to ither: A: sart the truck turn on the ac and let the truck sit w the ac on (while you stand outside); or B: go to walmart and buy some little air freshners to stick in the vents :rofl:

.. hopefully one of the other guys will chime in later this evening .. (after they get done shoveling snow) :lol:

7. FireRed

FireRed Rockstar 100 Posts

I had the same trouble, there is a drain to get rid of the moisture the AC pulls out of the air even if it shows of some coming out the rubber tube may be partially closed off so it holds some water and it will stink!! The end is made flattened out so I made another cut in it so I was sure it would drain.

8. MWright936

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check that out. It didn't stink today....go figure.

9. John W

John W Rockstar 100 Posts

Have the A/C air filter under the right side dash changed. If there is already an odor remove the filter and spray the the evaporator core with aerosol disinfectants for automotive air conditioning systems available at most auto part stores.

10. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I found this on another thread asking about how to get rid of that odor.

The odor is due to your a/c. The evaporator core in your dash is condensation with the a/c on, and then dries while the vehicle is off. This can cause some mold growth. The solution.........start vehicle with a/c on high.
    It must be in fresh air mode (not recirculating inside air, or sometimes called max a/c) . Get a can of Lysol antibacterial spray or equivalent and spray it down the cowl at base of windshield on the outside near wiper arms/ blades. If in doubt where to spray, you may feel air movement at correct location or use tissue and watch for it to move. Spray about 1/2 the can and run vehicle for a while. You may need to do this several times. Note: leave doors or windows open, the smell from that much cleaner can be nauseating.
    Also if you have a newer vehicle, check and or replace cabin filters (air filters for passenger cabin).
    THIS IS THE FIX NEW CAR MANUFACTURES RECOMMEND.... I work at a Gm dealer and we see this all the time, no real problem, just unpleasant odor.

You may also have a cabin air filter that might need to be changed.