1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My 1996 GMC Sierra trailer wiring, project

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Cableguy, May 23, 2008.

1. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've got some stuff on order, so I'll do a little walk thru on my adventures of trailer brake controller wiring and the trailer hook up.

If you guys can follow along and correct me or throw in your 2 cents as I go along. [​IMG]

Ah easy you say eh. What if you lost the sheet to how you wired your trailer...ya thats what I thought. :grrrrrr:

[​IMG]
  2. Cableguy

Ok here is some of the stuff I either have on order or have ordered or here waiting for me.

Good soldering iron
    [​IMG]

Shrink tube (and solder of course)
    [​IMG]

The class III hitch (Like, duh!)
    [​IMG]
  3. Cableguy

GM "T" harness
    [​IMG]

7 pin trailer plug
    [​IMG]

Tekonsha Prodigy Proportional Brake Control
    [​IMG]
  4. Cableguy

Wire loom
    [​IMG]

20 amp curcuit breaker (Single axle)
    [​IMG]

12 gauge wire
    [​IMG]
  5. Cableguy

You guys care for this walk-thru or am I boring you. I'll post pictures as I'm doing it if you'd like?
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I think it could be handy Jaime. I'll interject where I see fit, seeing as I can't keep my mouth shut. By the way, why didn't you wire your trailer lights according to usual color codes???
  7. Cableguy

Ya I'll check that as I get there. I just bought all the stuff, then I'll worry about what wires go where. I put trailer end plug together in haste last year so I'll probably have to reconfirm everything.