1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My 2011 truck was broken into,

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bazar01, Jul 1, 2013.

1. bazar01

bazar01 Member

Drove the truck up to Atlanta Saturday PM and went to Brunswick bowling center and parked it with a 6 x 10 enclosed trailer from 3PM - 7PM and had some fun time with my children.
    The following day, I realized I was missing a laptop bag and check book bag. The thing is, I noticed when I locked my truck with the remote, it locked but did not hear the horn. There was no visible forced entry damage from the doors and windows, My son found out that the engine compartment fusebox top cover was laying on the spare battery tray and the horn fuse was pulled, which explains the absence of the horn chirp when you lock the truck and activate the alarm,

I was wondering how the thief entered the truck. Are these newer trucks easy to break into? Thanks.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Ok, with that fuse out, will the doors lock?

And, how/why would the cover have been off and the fuse pulled?

BTW, if I was you the 1st call would have been to the bank to have the checks cancelled, and/or the account closed.
  3. bazar01

bazar01 Member

Thanks Roy.

The banks are already taken cared of early this morning. Closed the accounts and opened a new one as advised by the bank.

The doors locked but I did not hear the horn with the fuse pulled.

- - - Updated - - -

I was wondering how they opened the hood. They must have opened the doors and opened the hoodbut i do not see any sign of forced entry.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

So, you think maybe they pulled the horn fuse so that when the factory alarm tripped the horn won't blow. But, you need to be inside the truck to open the hood.

So, they must have opened a door, tripped the alarm, released the hood, got the cover off the fuse panel (all the while, the horn is blowing) and pulled the horn fuse. Then, they stole the stuff.

I think most vehicles are easy to open, a "slim-jim" will get a thief into a truck in 10 secs, it might take you and I 2 mins.

I guess having the truck call your cell is the only way to ensure the alarm does a job.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

A skilled thief can slide underneath the front end and trip the hood latch to the secondary latch, then open the hood and pop the horn fuse.
    Then slim jim the door, start to finish less than 10 minutes.
    New trucks are actually more time consuming since if you want to do the job quietly you have to pop the hood first, older trucks dont normally have factory alarms so their quieter and you only have to slim jim the door.
  6. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

On the NNBS trucks, the horn will blow if the hood is opened. This assumes the user locked the doors via the remote.
  7. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

That explains it. :)

Does your truck have exterior key holes? Check those closely to see if there are any scratches or any other signs of prying. A lot of trucks, including my 2001 Silverado and my dad's 2006 F-350, have been broken into that way. The thieves will use a screw driver and jam it under the key hole and unlock the door. Not sure if GM fixed that on the newer trucks.
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

Look under the door handle for a little hole about the size of a screw driver.. Do you have a sliding glass in the back of the truck?
  9. bazar01

bazar01 Member

Yes my truck has exterior key holes. That was exactly the same theory the cop said about the key hole as a common access to the cab. But we did not see any scratch marks on the key hole. Once they get in, the alarm sounds off, they pop the hood and pull the horn fuse. Get what they want amd lock the truck back. When you come back to the truck, you unlock with the remote and seemed nothing happened. Then when you get off and lock the truck, there is no horn when you arm it.
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

look under the handle..