My 2500 wont go into 4WD HI

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Thundare, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Thundare

Thundare Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys, on my truck(AVATAR) i have four wheel drive but it wont go into HI, it will go into LOW but not HI, when in HI i touch the gas a little cuz once that worked, but now nothing.

The shifter is manual through the floor, can i get some help because i cant go fast in 4WD low

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

How about a little more information? What year truck do you have? Automatic or stick? What transfer case?

3. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm betting it's the electric actuator on the front axle that's not engaging. Since you've got a manual floor shifter, it's an easy check. Put it in 4HI and have someone take a look under the vehicle. Back up a little ways and see if the front driveshaft moves. If it does, the actuator's no good. If it doesn't, then there might be something wrong with the shift linkage or the transfer case itself.

4. Thundare

Great ill try that today.

5. Thundare

sorry i forgot, its a 1995 chevy silverado,2500,4WD well, half four wheel driver for now:lol:
    Extended cab, Fully loaded.

6. Thundare

FIXED!

Well its a really dumb story but i will tell it.

Ok so im going over to my truck to see if the 4WD Axel would move when in 4W.
    Well That Was not necessary because when i went to put it in 4WD low to get out of some soft dirt, But the 4WD light didn't come on, well i didn't notice it at the time so i went to drive and in the corner of my eye i see a orange light turn on, well it was the 4WD light.
    This never happened before the 4WD always came on in park(in low's case Neutral) I never had to put it in gear to engage it. So im like what the hell, i take it out of 4WD low and put it in HI, well nothing untill i shift into drive HOLLY CRAP, it works:party:

And now i feel stupid about asking you guys for some help:lol:

7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Glad you got it working!

8. anthonyl9

anthonyl9 Rockstar 100 Posts

Those are the best type of repairs...no money involved.

9. Thundare

lol thanks, and yea, FREE, i love it

10. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

at least you got it fixed