1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Alternator Went Out on Me

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Crawdaddy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well, today I was in town, and about to head back home, when I cranked the suburban up and saw my battery light for the first time ever. My voltage gauge was showing very low. So, since AutoZone was right around the corner, I drove there. It was raining, so I was unable to get them to test the alternator. Assuming it was dead by the lack of charging voltage, (14 volts) I bought a Duralast Gold new 105 amp alternator. Drove the truck over to my uncle's house, and proceded to change the alternator in the rain. All in all, it was quite easy because it was mounted right on top of the motor. Unfortunately, I soaked my brand new socket set changing it in the rain, and I had to dry each socket off individually. :grrrrrr: It was a pain in the end, but everything also just happened to work out I guess. Such if life. I'm now right at $110 poorer as a result. Such is life I guess...
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I just bought that exact same alternator for my S-10, and it was also 105 amp. It has been good so far, although I have only had it for 6 months.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Glad you got it done. A little Fluid Film will keep those tools rust free.
  4. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

At least you save some doing it yourself. Hope it works out for you.