1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My annoying 2010 Suburban rear end clunk

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by mukmuk, Mar 18, 2014.

1. mukmuk

mukmuk New Member

hey gang... newbie here... been lurking for a while and searching for answers to a noise that is about to drive me crazy... bought a 2010 Sub used with approx 32,000 about 2 years ago. we have just over 100k now... about a year later we started to hear a quiet clunk coming from the back end somewhere... i looked to see if it might be the spare tire loose, no. shocks seem tight... nothing obvious... muffler was all attached...

did some looking through the forums and i see a lot about the infamous "clunk" when taking off, but this is not it... (i also have a 1999 Silverado, so I have experienced this 1st hand) it does this just driving quietly through a parking lot when you hit a bump and something clunks, not accelerating... it doesn't seem to do it at higher speeds only because i think we can't hear it with road noise (and kid noise). we live on a gravel road so i'm sure whatever it is has something to do with that...

but even not accelerating, would the slip yoke make a clunk sound when hitting a bump?

Recently the FRONT end started having clunking noise... but again, not bad but just enough that you would say it doesn't sound right... time for Chevy to look at it?

so... i took it into our dealership a few months ago and they couldn't find any problem, they even said they couldn't really hear anything in the rear (argh)... but as for the front, they did say that our left front strut was stiff and noisy and should be replaced... i agreed, and i suggested we replace both front struts at the same time... it does ride better with the struts, less "busy" going down the road (it always had a jitter to it)... but the clunk in the front is still there (sort of) and the one in the back remains... sigh...

only one forum post mentioned something that made me sit up... the trailing arm bushings... has anyone had any issues with the trailing arms? that does sort of seem like the clunk location... does this sound logical to anyone?

it doesn't seem logical, because it's a "heavy" noise, but would brakes make any clunking noises? What about the rear lift gate? any issues with that making noise? any issues with where spring attaches to body?

Now i know why God gives us kids and radios: to hide the annoying Chevy truck noises!

thanks for any thoughts. (*clunk*)

-Mike
    Black Hills of South dakota
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Usually that kind of a clunk can be traced to worn sway bar end links. There is one on each corner, at the outside end of the anti-sway bar.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

check the swaybar links like ray said. I replaced trailing arm bushings on my 03, with 150,000 miles on it. Have all your kids get on the back bumper. Crawl under it and have them hop up and down. See if you can locate the noise. This method worked great for me when my wife was pregnant. Not so much now that she had the baby and runs 4 miles a day.
  4. mukmuk

mukmuk New Member

LOL!! i'll give it shot... good idea, the kids will love it. Thx
  5. mukmuk

mukmuk New Member

just wondered where you get just the bushings... i'm only finding the whole arm with bushings...? or would it be easier to replace the whole arm rather than trying to press out the bushings? Thanks for any suggestions.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I bought the entire arms from GMpartsclub.com. I also purchased the cross bar that goes from the axle to the frame. The bushing kit was around $108, plus the cost that my local machine shop wanted to press the old bushings out and the new bushings in. I ended up spending around the same amount as it would have cost to just replace the bushings. Check energysuspension for the bushings. they may have them for your truck.
  7. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Have you checked that your jack is strapped down tight? Mine drove me crazy for a week.
  8. mukmuk

mukmuk New Member

i did think about that and checked it... was tight... i was really hoping it would be that easy!!
  9. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Yeah, it's always more fun when its that easy.

The dang thing was in a rental Ford mini-van, in the tall bin inside the rear hatch. Found it after 80 miles of mountain freeway and tightened it up.:he:

- - - Updated - - -

Another item that bumps is a sagging, torn, or missing exhaust pipe rubber mount. The pipe or muffler can bang into the suspension parts and frame if they are not right. The last one on my tailpipe got lost somewhere, and the pipe still hung almost where it should, so I didn't notice for a couple of days even though I spent a little time wondering what the little clunk was. THEN I went off road. Then the pipe swung all over the place like a hammer on a rope and banged into everything.