My Avalanche Mod Thread

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by pmf608, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

tent2side.jpg Camping in a Av is a ton of fun and in the 8+ft bed...Lots of room.. avcamping.jpg

2. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's for sure! Even the GM tent itself is designed to be really spacious. When I went out camping and actually used the tent, I was in a place where there are bears around so I kept the midgate up and the food in the truck - I don't want bears in my tent.:lol: Even with the midgate up and the front of the tent zipped up there's lots of room back there.

Or there's the snugtop like enkei has. Then you can have your midgate down and the food in the truck in bear country because everything is solid. That's what I really like about the avalanche - there's snugtops, tents, and all sorts of accessories and the truck itself can do everything.

3. pmf608

New Mods!

Mod #9: 6-On-High mod. I used the diode method from the avalanche forums to keep my low beams and fog lights on with my high beams. I noticed somebody has now put that method as a how-to on this sight, and I like it.
    [​IMG]

Mod #10: GMTC Decal:party:

Now that my decal made its way up here to the great white north, I got it put on my truck:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Nice work so far!

There is an avalanche club up here in ohio, but most of them are lifted and they look pretty sweet! Keep us posted on mods to come.

5. pmf608

Mod #11: Kenwood DNX7180 Navigation radio. I wanted the Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT, but it was backordered when my mom ordered it for christmas so I got this instead. I love this Kenwood unit and now that I have it, I wouldn't have it any other way. I got my iPod connection and bluetooth back with this like I had in the silverado, and lots of other cool stuff too.
    [​IMG]

Mod #12: Hardwired radar detector, round 2... I used an old telephone cable I had laying around to make a new hardwire harness for my new Beltronics RX65 detector. I finally got tired of the constant laser falses every time I hit the gas with my old detector. This one is better anyway.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  6. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

You have great ideas, great to see your actually using your truck. Keep up the great job & posts!

7. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

The double din looks pretty damn good in there, but I see a Spitfire in the background that needs some love lol

8. pmf608

:lol: winter is avalanche season. it's a bit cold here to be giving the spitfire much love. And with my quad in front of it, there isn't actually room to open the hood without opening the garage door and backing the car up a bit. Work will continue on the car in the spring when the weather and the budget allow. Until then, I'm thinking inexpensive mods on the Avy are in order

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  9. pmf608

Mod #13: Backup Camera - Since the backup camera that came with my Kenwood nav unit wasn't a style that would work with the avalanche, I bought just a standard, round, flush-mount camera for $40 including shipping on eBay. I mounted it into the tailgate handle bezel on the Avalanche and ran the wires through the tailgate, along the factory wiring under the truck and through the firewall to the radio. All of it is in split loom tubing to look factory, and I used a 4-wire plug for a trailer behind the bumper so the tailgate can still be easily removed. All in all, this turned out very well and I'm very happy with it, but I might have to replace the camera since the glass lens somehow got cracked.

The next mod I'm planning is to paint that big plastic bezel once the weather warms up... while I'm at it I'll be redoing the mirror caps & bowtie since the clearcoat got messed up on them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

Nice work, looks like it belongs there.