My Car buying experience.

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by branhap, May 30, 2008.

1. branhap

branhap New Member

Just thought I would give a quick review of the two dealerships I worked with when buying my truck.

Originally started off at Fremont Motors in Lander, Wyoming. We had bought my wife's car there a couple of years ago so we had hoped/figured they would work with us again. Oops on that assumption! Originally we were looking at the Colorado when the salesman suggested we take a look at the Silverado suggesting he could get us into one for a good price. So we gave it a shot, and pretty much immediately it became a decision between the Extended Cab and Crew Cab. After some discussions and price checking, we settled on the Extended cab with the safety package. We tried to work with them, but the most they'd come down on the price was about 4% off MSRP (and well above Invoice price). I figured with the truck market being slow, this was a bit high, so I did some leg work and got quotes from several other dealers. As I thought, most dealers were begging me to take a truck off their lot. I went back to them asking for more money off and at one point showed them how high they were compared to the competition.

In the end the more I look back at it, it seems the manager didn't want to deal. He never came out of his office to talk to me about the car, and we eventually told him that we found another truck we liked and we are going to head up there that weekend. So we walked out. First time ever that I got out of a dealer when i was ready to sign the paperwork that a sales manager never bothered to show his face.

So next day, we decide to drive up to Rapid City. I call up the sales rep that worked the quote over the phone with me, and got him to fax me a price quote. We hit the road and arrived that afternoon. They gave me a fair deal on my cougar that I traded in, and as promised their the truck was delivered at the price they promised. No extra hidden costs. Everything went extremely smooth.

So I have to give a thumbs up to Rapid Chevrolet. They had a heck of a deal as it seemed they were geniunely interested in moving trucks off their lot. The Lander dealer gets a big thumbs down.

Service wise, the local Fremont Ford dealership was always pleasant to work with. If I liked the F150, I probably would have went with them based on their service, but in the end I didn't like that truck one bit, so here I am with a Chevy.

Btw, total price difference... $3000 between the two dealers. So well worth my time, gas, (no hotel as we have friends there) to go up and buy my truck from there.

Cya,
    Paul

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow, glad you got a good deal. $3000 is a great savings for a similar truck.

3. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Nice review. That is quite a price difference! Which is why it definately pays to shop around. And it is surprising that first dealer wouldn't work with you on price. You know they aren't selling all that many gas guzzlers right now as it is.

4. branhap

branhap New Member

Well here in Wyoming they are moving about 1 to 2 trucks a week off the lot still. So we're not as pinched. Chevy and Ford only though getting those kinds of sales. As up here in Wyoming, winters can be rough especially if you need to go over a mountain pass.

But yeah the savings were extremely worth it. Like I said weird that the dealer wouldn't work with me. *shrug*

Paul

5. crane3447

crane3447 Rockstar 100 Posts

Way to make'em work for your money. I bet the dealership owner, or GM home office would be very interested in your story. The only real voice we have is our money. And we all know how loud money talks.