My CVX's aren't hitting lows real good...?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by zachmilz, Mar 6, 2011.

1. zachmilz

zachmilz New Member

I have two 12" Dual 2-ohm CVX subs powered by a Hifonics HFi2500 at two ohms. They should be getting around 700 RMS a piece from that amp and they're in a prefab box from Amazon. I'm pretty sure it's the box, but these subs just don't hit lows. It sounds really airy and they flex a LOT when I put it on a low song turned up. Each sub has 1.5 cu ft of air space in the box which isn't that much. I want to have a good range of bass, but I'm playing songs with higher frequencies to make them sound good. I'm not going to lie, these subs get LOUD, but I know there has to be more potential out of them. Any recommendations? Should I just make a bigger box?
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Do you have the Amp set right? What head unit are you useing? What Ga wire do you have for the power and ground? What size fuse by the Batt? Did you up grade the wire going from your alt to the Batt?
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  3. zachmilz

zachmilz New Member

I have the gain turned up 1/4 on the amp, the rest of the settings are correct. I'm using a Kenwood KDC-MP145. I have 0 gauge power and ground with a 250A amp fuse by the battery and I haven't done the big 3.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

I would get a head unit thats 4 volt out and upgrade the other wires..
  5. zachmilz

zachmilz New Member

What would the 4V output do? And you mean do the big 3?
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Higher volt outputs give a cleaner sound and a bit more volume to your amps.. Up grade the Alt wire and ground from the body to frame..
  7. zachmilz

zachmilz New Member

Okay, thanks. Do you think it will help the low frequencies? Also, do you change the input sensitivity on my amplifier for that?
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Yes if you do a 4 volt output then turn up the gain.. But only if you have 4 volt output...
  9. zachmilz

zachmilz New Member

Okay, thanks!
  10. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member

What does that box look like? I would go with more air space...I think 1.5 is min for those subs.i have seen guys pushing 300 rms to cvx's and they pound.

The enclosure is 70% of the recipe.IMHO.
  11. zachmilz

zachmilz New Member

12. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member

Where are you putting that box! Kicker wants a min of 1.75 for ported boxes for that sub.i would buy a kicker box for those subs.
  13. zachmilz

zachmilz New Member

Haha, I took out one of my back seats for right now. I'm putting in bucket chairs in the next couple months in the back seat and will have a custom console from the dash to the back of the cab.
  14. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member

Let me know when you get that done...would like to see it! This is what I ended up doing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. zachmilz

zachmilz New Member

Wow, that's a really nice blowthrough. I was thinking about that, but I use my bed quite a bit. I'm slowly making my truck into a show truck, as money allows.
  16. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member

Ya I hear you on money.... i just added headrest monitors and had the headliner, sunvisors, and all the pillars done in suede....so know I am broke until I can save up some more "bling" money.
  17. zachmilz

zachmilz New Member

Yeah, once I finally graduate from school I can get a full time job and bring in the dough. I get to do my 3/6 or 4/7 drop for my graduation/birthday gift, though. I'm very ready for that!