My friends trucks throwing a code

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MD4x4 Fireman, Jan 15, 2008.

1. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My friend owns a F*rd Ranger and there is a code that the problem has been fixed but the code was never cleared. I know with Camaros you can use a paper clip and push it in 2 of the sockets where the code reader plugs into and it will clear it, will that work with this if so which 2 do i need to hit. His tags are gonna get suspended soon and that would be bad for me along with him.

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What year Ranger? OBD-1/EEC-IV (up through '95) codes can be cleared with a paper clip. Put "Ford EEC-IV self-test" into your favorite search engine or look in any self-respecting repair manual. You could also disconnect the battery cable which will clear CM as well as keep alive memory (KAM), after which you'll need to drive several miles for the computer to relearn. OBD-2/EEC-V ('96+) will need a scanner to clear codes.

3. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

its a '96 so ill try to find a friend with a scanner

4. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

you might wanna have ur friend pickup one off ebay or the local parts store they are not expensive :)