Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

my g80 went south need to replace pic& sound

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by j_k_auto, Apr 22, 2009.

1. j_k_auto

j_k_auto New Member

Well I need to replace my carrier since it did not like being in my truck. I am looking for a better stout carrier that can hold up to my truck.What are my options here?
    14bolt ff 10.5

thanks

Here is a pic and vid of what happened. Also it is stuck in posi mode

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBL6rGPXcHE"]YouTube - g80 carrier gone bad[/ame]

Attached Files:

• 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      89.9 KB
      Views:
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

option class 1: find used axle. Often cheaper and easier than rebuilding a differential. Main drawback is you are limited to what you find. Main options will be a factory open or factory G80.

option class 2: rebuild existing.
    carrier option 1: open carrier
    carrier option 2: another G80
    carrierr option 3: aftermarket limited slip: either clutch type or gear type
    carrier option 4: aftermarket locker: either automatic (detroit locker) or selectable

3. j_k_auto

j_k_auto New Member

Thanks for the good info.....

Well from what I read,called about, & searched.... I still am not sure what I want to do. This broke last sat and I spent all week ( 20 calls) ( 36 hours searching this) I basically came up to the conclusion they do not make a upgraded g80 so it would be stronger nor do they make anything aftermarket that will replace this that will do the same thing as a g80 but hold up. Here are my options so far that I found out. I need something stronger that will hold the torque for fun events and will be nice as a dd.

1. detroit locker
    2. arb air locker
    3. powertrax no slip
    4. detroit lsd/posi
    5. detroit true trac
    6. powertrax loc rite
    7. detroit e locker

I wonder why they don't make a lsd that will fully lock like the g80...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  4. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

A 14 bolt 9.5 SF would be more than adequate for your truck if you decide to upgrade your diff.

It depends on what you consider weaker. Did you know that the pinion shaft diameter is larger on the 9.5 than it is on the 10.5"FF? Guess where the power transfer to your ring gear comes from, the pinion.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  5. j_k_auto

j_k_auto New Member

Maybe I missed something but a sf is alot weaker then the ff rear. I am dealing with alot of torque and going smaller impo would be a no no:gasp:

6. MrShorty

That's one of the e-lockers isn't it? normally a clutch type LS until the user pushes a button and then it locks the axles together.

7. j_k_auto

j_k_auto New Member

Maybe I don't know. I did find out that alburn does make a lsd and you can lock it posi but they do not make it for my truck....:grrrrrr:

8. j_k_auto

j_k_auto New Member

update...

I did take my carrier out yesterday. Yea it was bad. the left side of the carrier fell off. The spider gears do not move anymore because the ring inside blew apart. Also the little gov gear had a tooth off of it...:gasp:

9. j_k_auto

j_k_auto New Member

Well I am going to replace it with a arb locker. Hopefully this will hold up.:great:

10. MrShorty

In a 14 bolt FF, I think you should be good for some good use/abuse.