1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Intro and question about Stock Wheel measurments

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by raf1231, Apr 25, 2010.

1. raf1231

raf1231 Member

:sign0144:
    And I have question I hope someone can answer for me.

Would anyone know the offset and backspace info for the 16" x 7", 6-bolt on 5.5" pattern OEM stock alloy wheels mounted on a 1992 Suburban K1500 Silverado[​IMG] 4x4 5.7-liter engine? :)

I'm in real need of new tires & shocks. So, since I got a nice income tax refund (& I want to help stimulate the economy) it seems like a good time to do a 2" lift and put on some Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO LT295/75R16/D tires (33.2" diameter) to get a bit more clearance off-road. Goodrich says these tires need to go on 7.5' to 9.5" rims or I void the warranty.So, I've got some new 16" x 8" wheels picked picked out (AR321 FUEL Black) and I want to make sure I order the right ones so they'll fit with no wheel-well/fender trimming or other modifications. I've already ordered the lift kit (Tuff Country) along with 4 Bilstein HD shocks. My "Sweet Bertha" came to me with the OEM off-road (skid plates) & towing packages. I've also added a rear axle truss/differential skid plate, a Warn XD9000i winch mounted on a front-end receiver hitch and a custom grill (cattle) guard.

I've scoured the net looking for this wheel info until I'm blurry eyed, seeing double and developed a migraine.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. Kudos to anyone with the correct answer. When I'm done with this project, I'll post some pix & comments on how it all works out.:sign0011:
  2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Offset should be 31mm, and from that you can figure back space, which should be around 4 7/8" or 5". To be sure of the offset you can find it stamped on the inside of the wheel.(16 X 7 31MM)
  3. mmorgan1865

mmorgan1865 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

:sign0016: Looking forward to the pics.
  4. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  5. raf1231

raf1231 Member

Thanks for the info but I have some doubts if it's correct. I've done quite a bit of reading about wheel offset & backspace. I think I understand it pretty well. I pulled the right rear wheel on my Sub and did some measuring (with the tire still mounted). Laying the tire & wheel face down, the backspace seems awful deep. My measurements came up with an offset around +57mm giving me a backspace of around 6.25". And I did take into account that the 16" x 7" wheel measurements are take from inside the wheel without a mounted tire. I'm not quite ready to remove a tire to see what's stamped in the inside of the wheel. Keep in mind, these are the GM Factory stock alloy wheels on my 1992 Suburban 4x4. Here's a link for my stock wheel -- http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/w_sele...N=&_YEAR=1992&_MAKE=CHEVROLET&_MODEL=SUBURBAN
  6. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:glasses: Glad to have you here!
  7. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I didn't mean inside the tire, just on the back side of the wheel. Most stock rims have it the size cast into the wheel on one of the spokes, although it's been a while since I've had that size rim. I can tell you this though, I put 2003 Silverado rims on my old '97 'Burb to replace the rims you are talking about and they are 16 x 7.5 with 31mm offset and they didn't stick out any further than the original. Also if you have a backspace of 6.25 on a 7 inch rim the lugnut mounting surface would be only 3/4" from the outside bead of the wheel, if you look at the dish where the center cap goes, it's pretty deep. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer but as far as your new wheels go, if your looking for factory mounting characteristics then go with as close to 31mm as you can since I know for sure thats what factory offset is for '99 to present. You can go at least as low as 20mm and still be fine and 12mm will probably work too just stay away from negative offset.
  8. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTruckClub!
  9. dannys99

dannys99 Rockstar

Welcome to the club, Even with the offset you might rub when the wheel is just right and you hit a bump. I have a 99 with a 4" lift and if I hit a hard bump when the wheel was just right, the tire would scrape the plastic wind shield and the bumper a little.
  10. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club

Please don't forget to fill out your signature with your vehicle detail.