1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

my little girls first ride

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by cobra2end, Mar 17, 2014.

Random Gallery Photos

1. cobra2end

cobra2end New Member 100 Posts

So she got her self a truck oh my she's growing up :(
    But I did teach her well she got a 92 Chevy with the 5.7 .
    It ran great on test drive accross town about 20 mins or so.
    We drove it home and guess what it has monsters. First one is the cooling.
    It runs around 195 or so seems high to me so I checked the hoses to see if they were warm both upper and lower
    Were hot but rock solid. After it cooled down I went to check them again and could squeezing them no problem
    But heard antifreez going back into over flow tank. Strange ?

The next problem is oil pressure goes from 60 when first started to almost nothing
    When warmed up. It's so low check guages light comes on. It does have oil in it I did check that
    After my little girl heard the truck have a little knock the tears started flowing so rest
    Of the night was spent trying to get her to see we can fix it so I didn't get much time to check on other stuff
    Any ideas on what to start on first ?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to GMTC! The first thing I would do is change the oil and filter. You have no idea what weight oil the last owner was running in it. I would also install an AC delco filter. It is a long shot but, I have heard of guys have oil pressure issues solved by changing to an AC delco filter. The low pressure can be caused by worn bearings, a failing oil pump, or a clogged sumpt pickup screen. Or it could simply be a bad sending unit. But, it it is knocking when the oil pressure drops I doubt that is the case.
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

195 is the factory set running temp for the truck so any reading with in 10 degrees of that should be fine. When warmed up the oil pressure does tend to drop but not below 20 psi while idling and when running higher rpms it should raise. If the oil is older or the wrong weight it can cause lower psi reading. Also as Pikey suggested the ACDelco filters seem to help the trucks alot.
  4. cobra2end

Thanks for info guys. Wearer turned to poo so now waiting for little better weather.
    Fig the daughter should have learning to work on her own truck and we could learn new stuff
    Together fun time for us both I'm just so glad she didn't bring home a
    Dodge or Ford like her mom did lol. I'll post what I find out thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

imagejpeg952.jpg not sure if this will work but if it does here is a pic of her truck
  5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thats sweet!!! Gotta love the high speed hood! Yeah the 195 temp is normal.. My 2011 runs 210 so 195 is fine.. Also your hoses will be hard when up to temp and it is normal for the anti-freeze to seep back into the holding tank as it cools down. should be no worries there.
  6. cobra2end

I like the hood too but can't talk her out of it darn. She has a wish list from lmc and ready for weather to warm up.I'm hoping with oil pressure dropped is just needing oil and filter change .it does have 175k on it but the guy thinks it has a newer rebuilt motor in it I've heard that before .
  7. cobra2end

Well so far we know it needs new lower rad. Hose. We are going to change oil pump and oil so we can see what's in bottom of the pan and see what happens sure hope it don't need a new motor
  8. csltrains96

csltrains96 New Member 100 Posts

If you find yourself in need of a donor vehicle..... I have a '92 K1500 for sale in the classifieds section.