Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

My new baby! Best bang for buck increasing gas mileage?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by theflatlander, Jan 23, 2014.

1. theflatlander

theflatlander New Member

I just picked up a 02 GMC Seirra SLE z71 with 61K on it. completely mint with one owner and all service records! The guy claimed he can get 19 on the highway with it which I believe and I am not complaining about that. But I am wondering If I did one mod for increasing gas mileage when towing what would be my best bang for my buck? A tuner?

I will attach a pic of the truck also!

So glad to have a GM product again!

Attached Files:

2. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Welcome to GMTC. What a nice looking truck and great odometer reading for a twelve year old. Don't have a recommendation for MPG, but plenty of members will chime in to help. Not sure any one mod will net to many gains though.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Smaller tires and maybe a programer But how heavy is the trailer?

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Congrats on the New Truck, its a Very Sharp looking Sierra!!!......as far as increasing your Fuel Mileage, there aren't very many Bolt-on Mods that will Increase your Fuel Mileage, where you will see a Good Return on your Investment from that Mod, Going with a Custom Tune, like One from Black Bear Performance, will give you a Very Good Return on your Investment, Other than Pure HP Gains, your Trucks Overall Drivability will be Increased, and they can also do Adjustments to Improve the Shifting in your Transmission, bottom-line, as you've said Best Bang for Your $$$$......below is their Web Site.

Link to Black Bear Performance,
    http://www.blackbearperformance.com/services.asp

EDIT...I'll add the Following,
    Some of the other Items to help with Fuel Mileage,
    ...Keep the Truck Maintain....Clean with Air Filter, a Fresh set of Plugs and Wires, and Cleaning of the MAF Sensor, and Throttle Body and Injectors, and New Fuel Filter.
    ...Keep Tires properly Inflated
    Use the Right Octane for your Truck
    ...If you'll be idling for more than a few minutes, turn the Engine Off

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  5. theflatlander

theflatlander New Member

The trailer is a alumacraft 16.5ft competitor with 30 gal of gas and loaded with gear. Not sure on the weight and in the winter its a small 5x8 trailer with a atv on it.

6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

welcome and congrats on the new (to you) truck.

7. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Do you know what Gears, and what Size Tires the Truck??

8. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Keeping in mind that "bang for the buck" is your underlying qualifier, there are few, if any single mods that will achieve that. However, the first thing to do is to be sure it is in top running condition. Also, maybe a Seafoam treatment to clean out the intake and injectors would not hurt, only about $9. Make sure tires are properly inflated (as our wise President told us all). Drive easy, and keep it below about 72 on the highway. Looks like a great truck!