1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Next Toy. Boat or Trailer??? Can't decide.

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by ChevyFan, Sep 13, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

So we're at the point where the family needs to get out more and do more stuff "outdoorsie". So we're trying to determine if we should get a camper (and get maybe a 15 year old HD camper special truck) and a nice 16-19 foot all purpose boat, or get a good family-oriented 20'+ trailer with a smaller boat (like a 10' alumninum boat) that we can put up on top that would just be good for fishing.

Other options including tent camping, going to stay in a motel/condo/cabin, renting a boat (can that be done?) when we get to where we're going or maybe some other option that I've not seen.

I have seen people go down the road with a truck > hauling a trailer > hauling a boat. I'm not sure I'm that die hard with trailering to try that yet to be honest.

Ideas? What have people tried that makes this work? Ideas for types of boats, trailers, campers to look at?
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'd go with the 20' camper and small boat. IMO larger motorized boats are a money pit.
  3. ChevyFan

Growing up we always had a boat, and we used it maybe 4 weeks per year, so we got our money's worth. The first was a 16' Fiberform made in Spokane, Washington. The second was a 20' Belleboy, made in the Seattle area I think. My dad put an I6 from a 80's Camaro in that and did great on the water, but I agree. A boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

I found a history of the Bell Boy boats online. I guess this is a project from some guy where he restored a 1957 Bell Boy.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/timinvan/history.htm
  4. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Boat! Boat! Boat!
  5. ChevyFan

I just wonder how many times per year I would use a trailer vs. a boat. Plus, if a camper is more practical than a trailer is for a family of four.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Around here we have several county, state and national camp grounds with lakes. Alot of local people just camp out at these camp grounds just to get away for the weekend/holidays and its not far to travel to. My friend keeps his travel trailer at his house and when he has family visit they stay in the trailer, he said it works out great. Sometimes he will park it at one of the local parks and let his company stay in the park so they have time/fun to themselves.