My poor truck

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Crakums_GT, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I'm getting ready to buy some new tires for my truck, Nitto Terra Grapplers, for the winter and just when I'm getting ready to spend all that money my truck decided to throw on the check engine light. I lost my gas cap for a couple weeks and was hoping that a new one would fix it but that isn't the issue so now I have to find someone to scan my computer and tell me what the code is. In addition to that, my wife let the door go in the wind and after closing it, we can't open it back up. The door is sitting far enough forward now that the front edge of the door is touching the back edge of the front fender. I can't open the door without bending the sheet metal on the fender. I'm really hoping my insurance company will cover it but who knows. My one question is...when the check engine light comes on and the problem is fixed, will it automatically clear it and go back off or will I have to reset something? Also if anybody has any pointers on the door issue please let me know. Thanks in advance.

-Greg

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Its most likely set from the gas cap being gone, just disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and it should clear it.

3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Most times it will reset with driving. You can opt to have someone or a shop reset the light for you, but in doing so it also puts the computer into a non-ready state.
    What this means is that until you've sufficiently cycled the engine it will read certain parameters as not ready, or info not available. This is bad if you are due for a smog check or state inspection.

Usually a couple good runs down the highway will reset the light if the issue was fixed. Best way I've done it was to drive about 10+ miles on the highway at steady legal speeds. (I suggest cruise if you have it) Stop off and grab something to eat at a restaurant, then drive back home on the highway again. This gives the system a good run, a rest, and follow it up with another good run.
    This is not guaranteed to work for all situations but that's what I've done.

Sucks about your door. What's your deductable look like? Might be easier/cheaper to change the hinges yourself maybe?

4. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

if you have to fix it yourself, i would pull the fender off before i tried to open the door to keep the fender looking good.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Easiest way to clear your codes is to just pull the ECM fuses for 10 minutes. Most likely the missing gas cap caused the issue.

I don't know about newer trucks, but on older trucks you have to have the door open to unbolt the fender.

6. Crakums_GT

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I figured out that the new cap wasn't sealing enough so I have another one on the way. Hopefully that will fix the light. Even better news...insurance claim went through and after the repair I'll actually pocket about $100. Tires next week and I'll be ready for the winter. Thanks again guys.

-Greg

7. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Here in Regina Saskatchewan we already got our first snow fall, basically all of southern saskatchewan did.

8. Crakums_GT

yeah we just started getting our snow. I think right now we're roughly 30 degrees below the average for this time of year. Snow starting already. I think it's going to be another rough winter.

-Greg

9. japsmash2001

japsmash2001 Member

i have fixed this.. grease a piece of thin sheet metal , approx 14"by 14",and slip it between the door and the fender, and open the door. next, take a socket, 3/4 1/2" drive short and position it in the upper hinge.

the pillar is twisted, the idea is to un-twist it. have an assistant slowly close the door as you position the socket in the hinge which will cause the door to stop in the 3/4 open position.

next, on the count of three, forcefully attempt to close the door with a force equal to or greater than the damage force" the wind". you must have a feel for this sort of thing and not be afraid. any friend who has worked with metal might be a good guy to have around.

do not rock it gently or you might tear or work harden the pillar. set it up and execute.

you may notice that the hinge itself has limited ajustability, and there are welds where bolts should be.

i did it on my brother in laws 2005 chevy truck and fixed it. after a road test, wind noise was evident, so i ajusted the striker plate in a little to fine tune the repair. he was amazed and said a shop would have charged thousands.

if i can help further, let me know.

10. Crakums_GT

Thanks for your inputs. Got good news. My insurance ended up paying for the damage and it's now fixed. Also got my new tires (325/65/18 Terra Grapplers). They don't look near as good as the Mud Grapplers that came off of the truck but they ride so much better on the road. Can't wait to play with them in the snow a bit. Now it's time to get some good tires for the Durango since it's only RWD. Now I'm just settling in for gameday. Go Chargers!!!

-Greg