1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Powertrax Lock Right adventure

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 04SilveradoMykk, Mar 22, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 04SilveradoMykk

04SilveradoMykk New Member 100 Posts

A friend from a notherGM truck forum had sent me a Lock Right unit that he wanted to use on his DD and than discovered he already had a LSD, so I had wanted to make it my sunday project.

My folks have gone outta town for a week and a half, and I'm house sitting for them and taking care of their animals. I figured I would "borrow" the garage.

My intention was to tackle the locker today, and next tues & weds (my next days off from work) I would tackle a new oil pan on my SBC where as the old one has a major leak at the front lip seal where it meets the timing cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. 04SilveradoMykk

04SilveradoMykk New Member 100 Posts

[​IMG]

And than I hit a snag, a major snag. Only half of the lockers center section would fit into the carrier.

[​IMG]

I mic'ed the outside locker pieces in the carrier with a gap of 1.560"... I mic'ed the center section of the locker peices @ 1.756" :shiner:

Crap, the locker is to be used in the older 30 spline GM 10 bolt 8.5" rear ends, not the newer 30 spline GM 10 bolt 8.6"

So, instead of calling it quits I decided to take on the oil pan project.

Thank god the newer GM trucks are made so the frame crossmember directly under the oil pan unbolts and drops down off the frame!

[​IMG]

The new pan and gasket went back on without a hitch, and I can already see the lip of the new pan lining up with the TC cover a hell of alot better than the old one. I sure hope this takes care of that narly oil leak.

As for the locker, I will probably order a new one that is actually made for my app, there is no way I'll put her back together with an open diff.

Soon my left wheel will be able to look like my right

[​IMG]

Cheers ~Mykk
  3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

im been wanting to put a powertrax no slip in my truck i think i have the 8.5 how much did you pay for it
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Nice write-up and great pictures as always. Hit us up when you get the right locker to install with another how-to.
  5. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I just installed an Aussie locker in my Jeep and it was a breeze to install. basically the same thing as the lock right. They go for around 300 bucks. I am more than pleased with it on road and off. I would highly recommend the Aussies. A few guys in my Jeep club run the lock rights and like them as well.

http://aussielocker.com/