My Project! E-Fans on my 6.0 Savana Cargo

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by Garas, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Garas

Garas New Member

[TABLE="class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #F5F5FF"]I've been searching around if somebody did already converting their savana mechanical fan to efans which i cant seem to find at least one. So i read a lot on other forums that convert to efans which gave me an idea. Below is the parts that i needed to complete it:

1. OEM Dual Fan from Chevy silverado 05-06 = Cost me $100 from craiglist
    2. OEM Wire Harness #15912597 for the fans and included is the fan relay switch. = Cost $194.61 ordered it since i cant find anything on ebay/net or junk yard.
    3. Need my PCM/ECM tuned to turn on C1= Pin 42 low speed cooling fan and Pin #33 high speed cooling fan. This cost $200 but i am still thinking about if either i need to have it tuned or will buy my own tuning software which is cost $650 for hptuners or $800 for efilive.

I have the 34 inch radiator fan that fits exactly but it needs to be custom mounted which i did. I'll attach a picture here tomorrow.

2004 GMC Savana Pro.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  2. Garas

Garas New Member

[TR]
    [TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #F5F5FF"]Below is the picture of the oem fans from chevy silverado which fits perfectly on my savana radiator. I cut 90% of the existing fan shroud that hold the radiator and used that one to hold the dual fans. More pics to come.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    DSCN3483.JPG DSCN3482.jpg DSCN3483.JPG DSCN3485.jpg
  3. Garas

Garas New Member

[TR]
    [TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #F5F5FF"]Update:

Finally they ship out the oem wire harness for the efan which i expect to be delivered on August 5. I finally decided to purchase a tuning software from efilive than have it tuned, it will be delivered as well next week on thursday. Lastly the two pin for #33 and #42 which i oredered on ebay which comes 25 pcs. I expect that one come also next week friday. But anyway when putting it back the coolant reservoir and air filter unit it doesnt fit since the fans are on its way so i cut some top portion on the efan.

Since i got off early from work, i work on my van and remove the ecm harness and i broke the protector ehehehe, i just want to have it ready for next week. I needed to remove the driver side headlamp to easily work on the ecm harness. There is a help on how to add/remove pin, go to youtube and type ls1 pcm pin. Pictures below. I have all the wiring diagrams here on my computer but its a large file which i cant attach it since it doesnt let me. DSCN3508.jpg DSCN3509.JPG DSCN3510.jpg
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  4. Garas

Garas New Member

[TR]
    [TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #F5F5FF"]All i can say is my project is SUCCESS! I should have posted this last week but i got into troubles. All the oem fan relay and harness has been placed but overall its worth it. I placed the fan relay and zip tie it that holds the gutter of the pcm. The red wire was placed on the underhood fuse box which is perfect since u can bolt it to the existing red wire that comes from the battery. The ground wire was placed under the engine which is the ground as well for the AC compressor. The green/blue need to be connected to the pcm, did not cut it i just grab the connector on the existing harness that comes with it on the fan relay which is the black, green and brown. As u can see which i made a mistake the black green should suppose to be on the Blue PCM on 42, and the Brown should be on the Green PCM #33. Thats why when i start the car the fans run high when it should not be running and should be running in low when the temperature has been reached. Lastly the pcm needed to be program to the desired level of temp so that the fan comes on low and high. DSCN3544.JPG DSCN3543.JPG DSCN3546.jpg DSCN3545.jpg DSCN3547.jpg
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  5. Garas

Garas New Member

[TR]
    [TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #F5F5FF"]More Pictures below. DSCN3554.jpg DSCN3557.JPG DSCN3556.jpg DSCN3558.JPG DSCN3559.jpg
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  6. Garas

Garas New Member

[TR]
    [TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #F5F5FF"]Lastly when you want the pcm to be programmed you need to have AC parameters set to to control FAN #2 NOT auto recirculation failing to do this you will hear the fan relay click when the high temp reaches and your fan will not work on high and will stay the same on low.

If anybody wants to do this as well and have any question dont hesitate to ask.
    efilive2-1.jpg efilive2-1.jpg
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  7. Garas

Garas New Member

[TR]
    [TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #F5F5FF"]After installing the efan everything works but run into another problem, at cold start when you try to use the a/c it works on a couple minutes and suddenly the cold is gone and the compressor acting weird. I had waited the engine to reach the normal temperature which is 200F, on my settings the fan will trigger at 199F. As the engine temp reach 199F my fan turns on low speed and i turn on the a/c and works fine. Did it again same day at cold start same issue no a/c. So i played the settings on PCM until i figured out. I set the G0903 FAN #1 to turn on by A/C temp at 0. Everytime i turn on the a/c at cold start or on idle the fan turns on. My a/c blows cold.
    efilive3.jpg
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  8. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member

Looking good man:great: Let us know how it works out and if it cools better or if there's any performance gains with the e-fans.
  9. Garas

Garas New Member

I uploaded this to another forum which i want to share this mods that i did to my savana cargo van, Of course there is a performance gains when i switch to efans, since the clutch fan has been removed i gain a little bit horsepower, the very good side it cools very well the engine as well the AC blows cold.

10. ltdakheel

ltdakheel New Member

can help me do this to my GMC safari 2004? please weather here is killing me in the summer and cluch fan make my AC horrble in trafic
  11. tsbrewers

tsbrewers New Member

Thanks for the writeup, I would be interested if this improved your gas mileage at all?
  12. ltdakheel

ltdakheel New Member

hi there , thanks for awesome thread ,

i bought the same harness and installed every thing to my 2004 GMC safari , and now i have high speed and low speed for the coolant , but for the A/c fans run at low speed only , any idea why , on low speed after 2 min the comp stop and i think because the pressure is gone high and disconnect for safety

i couldnt upload my file here
    but you can look at it on hptunners web site

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?43573-E-fans-tunning-problem
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013