GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

my resevoir tank is bubbling/boiling??? Help leaking dex cook

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dannyboy1015, Dec 2, 2008.

1. dannyboy1015

dannyboy1015 New Member

yep it was leaking today I seen it was kinda wet by where the tube by the resevoir tank that goes no where when I drive I can hear it boiling or bubbling kinda so I was wondering what can it be??? How can I fix it ?
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member

Check to see if your radiator cap is properly installed. If not then the pressure will blow blow into the reservoir causing it to bubble (like sticking a straw into a glass of water and blowing causing it to bubble up). If your cap is in good shape and sealing properly, you may need to replace your thermostat as it is not opening up when warm (normal operating temp) and relieving the pressure. Hope this helps.
  3. retired

retired New Member

You need to check and see if the thermostat is opening if it is then the radiator cap is bad. Radiator caps can be pressure tested to see if there good or bad.
  4. ct9a

ct9a New Member

I'd be surprised if it was boiling. The temperature required to boil coolant would also overheat your motor.

Turn your truck on in the driveway, and let it get to running temp. Then see what happens. My guess is that it's pressure from the coolant system being blown into the tank.
  5. retired

retired New Member

You could also have a blown head gasket? I've seen it before.
  6. dannyboy1015

dannyboy1015 New Member

blown head gasket daaammnnn!!!!! i dont have money for that right now i hope not tomarrow morning ill go ahead and check it out hopefully not tho ill be truckless for a long time :(
  7. ct9a

ct9a New Member

Check to see if you have oil in your coolant and vise versa. Not always the best indicator though.
  8. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 New Member

If your truck is a 97 or later, you don't have a radiator cap. You have an overflow/service tank on passenger side fender well. What is your temp gauge reading (210 or lower?). Is the overflow tank filled above the fill line? If your temp gauge is over 210 replace the thermostat. If that doesn't help, post your results back on here, maybe we can help.
  9. dannyboy1015

dannyboy1015 New Member

my temp is always in the middle of the gauge it's never really over heating that's y it's wierdd to me it's a 2004 silverado v6 model
  10. dannyboy1015

dannyboy1015 New Member

so i took it to go get looked at and it was the lower intake manifold gasket or somthing like that and its about 1000.00 to fix ouch!
  11. retired

retired New Member

No intake gasket job cost a grand. I'm sure it's head gaskets and they want to replace both. Now thats worth about a grand.
  12. JMoney02

JMoney02 New Member

Retired's right, where did you get the quote from? 1k is about normal, offer a warranty with the repair? Get it writing, went to other places for comparision, you should.... Unless you have dealt with these guys before.

Jeff
  13. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member

You can pull and replacde that manifold in about two hours or less Bring it to me, I'll beat their price by 20%
  14. daddytech

daddytech New Member

the intake gaskets are a common problem in the newer chevrolet's they are made out of plastic and have to be changed out kind of frequently because of that fact. This could just as easily been something as simple as air pockets in the cooling system if you just filled it and didn't run the truck while doing so there could still have been pockets of air in the system which would keep it from cooling properly and might have caused the issue you were having also. My tahoe had issues with the intake gaskets and if you are mechanically savy enough to change it out yourself you could have changed them yourself for about $30 - $50 the dealers in my area wanted $700 - $900 I had an off duty GM mechanic change mine out for me for $500.00 and he supplied everything.
  15. dannyboy1015

dannyboy1015 New Member

ok here's the new info the reason they charged that much it's 90 an hour labor and them parts they said it would take 8 hours but I called around I got 375$ including parts and labor with 6 month warranty is that good???? Let me know guys otherwise I was thinking trading it in for a crew cab and it's not the head gasket the did a compression test and I am mechanically inclined with hondas I never owned a chevy it's my first one but it seams alot more complicated on a chevy truck but yea let me know guys
  16. retired

retired New Member

Now your looking for a reason to get a new truck. :great:
  17. dannyboy1015

dannyboy1015 New Member

yea but only cuz extended cab can be a pain with a babyseat and i wouldnt mind having power windows and locks
  18. daddytech

daddytech New Member

compression has nothing to do with your head gaskets leaking, that just proves it's not the head gaskets causing your problem. It's still a good thing but not related to the intake at all. one way to catch it if it is the intake is if you run the truck till it gets hot then shut it off and watch down both sides of the intake and see if you see any coolant at all on the intake manifold at all. with mine there was a pin hole leak up underneath my AC compressor on the drivers side of the front of the block I ran mine about 7 miles, stopped it and could hear what sounded like air leaking out. When I tried to find out where it was coming from there was coolant all around where it was coming out on the front of the intake. and like i said $500.00 and45 minutes later I was on my way with no more issues, I was just affraid of getting the distributor back in wrong and it never running again or i'd have done it myself. I have since gotten over that fear.
    The thing that gave me an Idea it might also be air in your cooling system is this. We had a 1986 Fiero that we purchased from a guy in Oklahoma city and drove back to Nashville in a few years ago and when we bought it , that car was having the same issues. It would run fine out on the highway but when we stopped for gas or to eat the cooling tank would boil over also which resulted in us keeping coolant jugs in the car. When we got back to Nashville one of my co-workers at Dell who used to be a GM mechanic informed me it was over heating because of air in the cooling system. The fiero's get air in the cooling system if they aren't elevated to 45 degrees and it causes them to over heat. once i pulled it up on ramps and topped off the coolant throught the thermostat housing the problem stopped. After that I had the same issue with my 89 silverado and learned that air was an issue with them too but you have to run the truck as you are filling it and the problem goes away. Proof positive was when I topped that one off with the truck running too. So there are educated reasons for both of my suggestions. try them and see for yourself. The worst that could happen is you have to spend the money to get the intake gaskets replaced.
  19. JMoney02

JMoney02 New Member

$375.00 good price with a warranty. Where's you head set at? Where's your heart set at? Where is your wallet set at? Doesn't matter which type you work on if you mechanically good they come a part the same way as they go back together. The price per hour is different in all the regions, but that will never change. So the question is what Do You Want To DO? We can hopefully give you good advise
    but you are the one who needs to make the final decision. I believe that it was ask if you had another car/truck and if so do you want to tackle the job, so you have to ask yourself a question.....

Jeff