1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My SEMA experience

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Springthing, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Wow... what a show!

This was my first time to SEMA, 2nd time to Vegas, and my umpteenth 'show'.

First off, let me apologize for the pictures. Apparently I'm not extremely familiar with my camera and a good part of the pictures are lacking that certain OOMPH! I thought I'd gotten a LOT more pictures than I did and now that I realize it I didn't take an pictures of the show in general. Thought of the GMTC, though, and hope it shows!

So I went with two friends of mine. Well, one friend of mine and his father-in-law who is now a friend of mine. We arrived on Monday and had a long day of travel for some reason. It was a direct flight from Springfield Missouri (our closest airport) but it turned into a full day thing for some reason. We got to the hotel in old downtown Vegas right at 6, had a quick lunch/supper, and then after a little bit of walking up and down Fremont went to our rooms and anticipated the next day.

We got to the show a few hours early to spend our time walking around the outside of the convention center.There was a lot to see and we marveled at the vehicles on display. When the doors opened, we headed to our first convention area. There are 4 main halls.. North Hall, Central Hall, and South Hall upstairs and South Hall downstairs. Other things here and there between then and outside.

So we kind of had a schedule and Bob (father in law) wanted to see Chip Foose first. So we practically went right to the booth he was scheduled at in a round-about way. We waited in line for an one hour and a half (was kind of a short line, but took some time) and got our autographs and photos. We actually were one of the last few in the line before they actually started turning ppl away so we kind of lucked out.

I got an autograph for me.. and one for the GMTC! Mr. Smary pants had to add a little something to the poster he signed....

So by the time we were done, it was practically lunch time and we had plans to meet a local friend. We walked from the hall were were at to the our meeting place... 45 mins later we got lunch!

We got back to doing the hall we were at instead of heading back to the hall we started out. It turns out we were in the hall for all the off-road accessories and truck parts. The rest of the day was spent walking that floor.

Second day we got there and outside found my fellow countrymen! A few french canadians that were outside with black prototypes of their new trike-cars. We spent a little while talking with them, I got to speak french again, which was nice, and then after a few pictures went to do the show. We walked around the section for audio and electronics and ended up doing a second hall completely that second day.

We got to meet a few more celebs, got some pictures, enjoyed all the little chicky-chickies in the skimpy outfits, and went back to the hotel totally beat!

This was... Wednesday. I had a ticket to go see... CARROT TOP! Woot!! So I went to see him after supper, walked from one end of the strip to the other (Luxor to spaceneedle, for those that know vegas) in two hours and then caught a cab to the hotel. It was just after midnight by the time I crashed.

Thursday was going to be our last day of show.. and we still had two halls to do! But... we got them done and actually called it an early day - we had had enough.

I won't get into too much detail about all the goings-on because it would take a lot of typing and I don't think anyone is up to reading an entire book!

In short... we got to see Dennis Guage, Chip Foose, Guy Fiety...however you spell his name.. the guy from Food Network... Barry White (the car one, not the singer one), Kevin from Trucks!, can't remember his last name.. Danica Patrick, and the chicky-chick from Speed channel.. I forget the show she was on now. Pictures of her talking with Bob... Dennis Anderson (Grave Digger), the homeboys from .... pimp my ride or something? Pictures of them too. You can tell I was paying attention, right? There were a LOT more ppl there but I didn't have time to go see them all.

So now I'll shut up and give you the links to the pictures I got. I'm sure I'll have more up at some point from my friends' cameras of shots I didn't get.

Click here to see my pictures of SEMA
    . I'll try and run through them and comment on the ones that I have something to say about! Feel free to add your comments/ideas/thoughts/photo identification!
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Some good pictures.
    The Speed Channel chick is named Jessie, she's the Co-host of an off-road truck show on Speed, I wanna say the other host is named Ian.
    I met her about 2 years ago when an Off-road truck club I'm in organized a run at Katemcy Rocks Texas. She's a great parts fabricator and mechanic, she doesnt mind drinking a few beers and getting under a truck to repair off-road carnage, even in the rain.
  3. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

actually shes from spike tv's powerblock on Extreme 4x4 Jessie Combs & Ian Johnson :glasses:

I watch every eposode :) its set to record on my dvr incase im not home :lol:
  4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Looks like you had a great time! I did the time I went, but I just couldn't make it around to everything I wanted to see. There is so much "stuff" there, it is a shame it doesn't last longer. Thanks for sharing the pic's!
  5. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

yea its spikes powerblock. it is extreme 4x4 and its a decent show. i like the builds they do. and she is nice to look at as well :lol::lol:
  6. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes, Jessie, that's her. Actually, she MAY have been on Spike but I believe she's no longer on the show. Whatever it is.... the show she WAS on full time she is no longer on. Again, I'm not much of a tv watcher other than a few shows and am not all up and current on all the who's who. But I do know that she' not on her regular show anymore and was at the show with a SPEED channel shirt and doing coverage for them.
  7. DwDrummer

DwDrummer New Member

I love the SEMA show but I wasn't able to attend this year!
  8. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Great pictures and story! Thanks for sharing.
  9. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Nice Pics. I wish I could of went. I've never been before and I am gonna make it some day before I die.