my speed-do! :(

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by navyeoseabee, Apr 18, 2009.

1. navyeoseabee

navyeoseabee New Member

about once a month for about 3-5 days my speedometer dosn't work. i may look down and see it at 100+mph... i have a kid car sit that is filled most of my driving time so i know it is not a "come back" from my younger-self. most of the time i am doing the "flow" traffic when i notice it happening.

the last time i noticed it was rite after i did do 90mph to get to work when the OKC wildfires happened. (last week) i was going to work to get a 6000gallon tanker to support the local fire departments for the fire fight. when i came to the first red light off the freeway the speedometer was reading 60mph still. i was told it was my speed senser, and another person told me it was my insterment panel. now auto zone has the speed senser for $70.00 in stock but don't want to change some thing if it is not the problem.

if you have any ideas let me know.

auto zone also said it may be just the connection between the wireing and the speed senser, so i cleaned it out last with electrical type cleaner from auto zone.

any info is great.-arick

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you want to replace the correct part the first time then the best advice is to get the truck scanned and look at the VSS reading. If the VSS speed sensor is reading correctly then you may have a bad speedometer. Also if the VSS were bad you would have shifting problems like late shifts and probably a Check Engine Light on.

3. navyeoseabee

navyeoseabee New Member

well, i have no codes onthe truck and i have changed the speed senser. what sould i do nets, take apart the dash and replace the instrument panel? how much fo you think that would be? ...man i am loving my powerstorke...lol:lol:

4. Jimmiee

You can buy a used one but you may end up with the same problem down the road. If it were my truck I would send it in and have the motor replaced at a speedo shop. They will turn it around in 1 day if you make arrangements.

5. navyeoseabee

navyeoseabee New Member

the speed dial has a motor?

6. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

first thing that comes to mind for me is what used to happen before speed sensors and all the electronic gadgetry the manufacturers have installed on these vehicles now days. I had an old 85 chevrolet van that the speedometer would bounce all over the place on while i was going down the road. I changed out the cable on that one and it solved it. had another friend with the same issue with an 88 suburban that had the 700 R4 trans in it and his issue wound up being that the gear that the spedo cable plugged into on the transmission was wallowed out and the gear would just randomly grab the cable end and sling it up around 60 - 70 mph and it also was not registering half the miles on his so even though he had 187,000 miles on the thing it only showed 68,000 on the odometer.

7. Jimmiee

What year is your truck?? If it's 03 or later it has a motor.

8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Starting in the early 90s, GM stopped using speedometer cables, and started using the VSS sensors which drive a stepper motor in your instrument panel showing you what your current speed is. On the "newer" trucks it seems like a very common issue where the stepper motors go out. My grandfather's dually has no working speedometer because of a bad stepper motor.

9. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

what year? their is a recall on some of the clusters due to bad motors in the cluster, my friends truck was reading 60, on cruse, then he looked down a couple of minuets and it said 120, took it to the dealer, got it replaced for free

10. Al Stefanelli

Al Stefanelli Member

My speedo/odo cable broke a loooooong time ago. Have no idea even how to begin replacing it and I ain't in a quick hurry to do it. I am sure on my 1985 that it is just a single cable from the tranny to the guage, but I have not looked yet.