My tranny died...UGH

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by trapper_canada, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Everything was good and then just like that WHAM...nothing. No signs...no clues...just caput.

I can't afford a new or rebuilt one...even if I could it would probably be worth more than the truck.

Anyways...I need to find a used one.

My truck is a 2000 GMC Sierra, 4x4, 4.8L

Is there a resource I can use that will tell me what compatible transmissions will work? I.e., what years, make/models I can look for?

Thanks....I am going to go back to crying now... only had the truck a few months...already put $2K into the front end...rebuilt will run me $3K (with labour)

2. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Sorry to hear that neighbor.I guess i would call a transmission shop to see what would be compatible.Maybe pick up a truck trader and look in the parts section.Good luck and stay positive things will turn around for you.

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Your best bet is to get the correct transmission. Get the 3 digit code off it and look for one that way. Other years will fit and may work but the transmission is matched to the geartrain so if you get the wrong one it may not shift as desired. It could shift too hard or too soft etc.