1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My trans blew up!!!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by lube70, Apr 17, 2009.

1. lube70

lube70 Member

I have a 06 Silverado Crew cab 1500 and was driving to a jobsite (actually the New Giants Stadium) and heard a "boom" and then nothing in drive or over-drive.

Contacted chevrolet who told me and I quote "this happens all the time with the Avalanche and sometimes on the Silverado, bring it in".

Bring it in and they tell me the forward sprag gear went and I'd have the truck back the same day!!!

Anyway, I have done trannys and engines a long time and know that once a part goes, most start to follow. The over-run clutches were worn also so they were replaced. Asked for a new trans and they said it was not cost effective!!!

So, now I have a supposedly good trans, and a cloud over me waiting for the next "boom".

ANyway, any one ever hear of this happening...Forward sprag thing????

Thanks in advance for the replies!!!

Don
  2. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Kind of off topic but did you notice anything wrong before it happend? I think my transmission might be getting ready to go out.
  3. Thundare

Thundare Rockstar 100 Posts

well the Sprag is a Clutch that allows the transmission to smoothly shift into other gears, i guess thats why it would not go any where.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Don,

The sprag failure is fairly common and it may have to do with a bad batch of sprags. I wouldn't be worried about it. The over run clutch plates always get burned when the sprag fails. The dealer installed an updated sprag so you should be good to go.
    Keep in mind that any time you put your transmission into gear the input sprag is what's linking the engine through the torque converter to your transmission. So any kind of abuse like rocking the truck in the mud or snow from D to R to D as well as selecting D with a high idle puts an extra load on the input sprag clutch.
  5. lube70

lube70 Member

thanks for the info

To answer a few questions...

Yes, noticed that it slightly shifted harder 1 to 2 gear...

In reverse, you would have to wait a second or it would BANG into reverse .

The trans otherwise was fine to what I was told.

Guess I'll wait and see....

Don
  6. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing. Im taking mine to GM monday.
  7. liv2hunt

liv2hunt Member

That happened to my buddy he has an 06 with 26K on it he was on rt 80 not far from Giant Stadium he just gave it some gas to pass some one and THUD...