1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My transmission is slipping...

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by janikphoto, Dec 24, 2012.

1. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

1999 'burb with 200k miles and the trans feels like it's slipping. Not a good sign, I assume?!?
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Ok, we need a little more info like your driving style, how often you change fluids, the transmission, if you have a cooling system and other info like that. Slipping usually is never a good thing, but the extent of how bad it is slipping determines how we fix it. I've only felt my tranny slip once or twice and doing a simple transmission flush and replacing the filter did the trick.
  3. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

I did a fluid and filter change 10k miles ago. The fluid still looks clean, doesn't smell burned. The truck is a 99 k1500 4x4 burb with the 5.7L in it. I spent the last month driving it pretty hard, since I had that bucking problem between 1 and 2k rpm... it might've hurt the trans. Now, it feels like a slipping clutch on a manual trans vehicle when I press the gas from a stop, then seems to "grab" firm around 2k rpm. I'm assuming that's because the torque converter is locking at that point?
  4. Conlan Rose

The bucking problem may have put some strain on the tranny. Personally I'm kinda tranny stupid I know what may cause problems and sorta why, but don't have much on fixing them... Do you have a tranny cooler? Also do u use the truck for towing? Since you live in Dallas the tranny has to reach high temps, the number one killer for transmissions is heat.
  5. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

No added coolers... just what the factory would've included. The heat hasn't been bad lately, so I doubt that's what did it in. I think i was the hard driving during my problem. I had to keep the rpm's above 2k for it to drive OK, so I'd manually shift it. I'd have to manually keep it in 2nd or 3rd, with consistent 3-4k rpms for extended time... but, the fluid still looks great inside. Oh well... at 200k miles, I'm sure a new trans was somewhere in its future!
  6. Conlan Rose

Yah the tranny isn't usually dealing with those rpms during normal driving. I say if you replace the tranny you should get a 4L65e which is a bit stronger than the 4L60e but uses the same exact connectors, pan, fittings and has the same dimensions.