1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My truck doesn't stop anymore - it slows down.

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Springthing, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

AAaaaaand here we go again!

History

For the past while, since owning the Suburban, I've replaced the front pads 4 times. I've never had great luck braking and stopping this truck - but I drive it like a bus so it's all good.

The past few months have had the truck pulling to the right on braking.

The past week I started to grind my rotor(s). I made an appointment, went and got my rotors turned at the dealership (none of the shops around here can turn the rotors from my suburban..!) and went and got the pads replaced, yet again, today.

The Problem

As I said the truck never has stopped quickly. I understand it's a big truck, and that it's not an uncommon complaint about the braking system on this truck.

On my way home I wasn't able to stop. I mean literally, I stomped on the brakes and I slowed down to a stop...I didn't stop. Had there been a car in front of me, about 5 or 6 car lengths, I wouldn't have been able to stop in time going about 30mph.

W. T. H?

What I Understand and What I Know

Like I said, I know it's a big truck.
    I did a quick look around as soon as I got home and found the brake system is not an uncommon cause of disappointment to a lot of people - straight from the factory.
    The pads were wearing unevenly - so the....oh....top side, I think(?) were wearing down, but not the bottom. (Caliper problems I'm guessing)
    I have a wheel bearing going out on the right side (passenger).
    My rear brakes look brand new.
    When I drive on gravel and try to stop, my front wheels' ABS kicks on and my rears don't seem to do much, still, no matter how hard I push.

So on the way home I got kind of fed up and decided to see just how bad the braking was. So I went about 30 and, with both feet, slammed on the brakes.

The truck slowed enough for my phone to fall on the floor from the center console but I slowed down. I didn't stop.

I know the brakes have to seat and set correctly with a new set of pads being put on, but this just shows that there is almost 0% rear braking.

Almost Done...

So I had a quick look around the forum, saw that it may be the proportioning valve. Also I caught that there's a chance it's electronically controlled.

So now I'm at a loss.....what do I do now?

Thoughts, comments, ideas?

My only thought right now is to go to the dealership in the morning and have them check everything, front to back, have them tell me what's wrong, (if they find anything...my guess is that they won't see a problem..) and then bend over and take it like a man.

I apologize for the long post. I guess I'm half venting, half wondering if anyone has any ideas.
  2. rebelpride

rebelpride New Member

From the sounds of it by you saying that your rear brakes are hardly working it may mean that the whole braking system isnt bled properly. That can cause extremely fast wear an tear on the front...obviosly lol. But take it some where or get a friend to help you do it yourself if you know how...not sure if you do or not. But try that because that can be a major problem and does the rear have disc brakes or drum?
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yea make sure the whole systems properly bled first.
    Then look for ABS codes, if it isnt happy it will give some codes.
    Next check for leaks.
    And finally check your boost system is correctly working, this is a weird braking system and has been known to have gripping issues and leaks due to the Hydro Boost.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I agree with the others, sounds like the rear brakes aren't working.
  5. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Rebel- The rear are drum brakes. Sorry, should have stated that. Front has....well, these huge monstrous disk brakes that no one but the dealership, it seems, can turn!

Tim- Funny you should say that. I just took it around the corner about ten minutes ago and the ABS light came on for the first time ever.

I'll look for a post on here about bleeding the brakes, see if I can find one.

As usual, thanks to all those that take the time to answer!
  6. rebelpride

rebelpride New Member

Well okay since I know the rear are drums now go ahead and bleed the whole system and then if that doesnt make it right replace the wheel cylinders on each drum back there. But bleeding them correctly should be the first thing done most of the time you normally need to replace wheel cylinders on older vehicles but like i said bleed em then hit the forum back up an let us know how it goes.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have that affect on vehicles!
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yeah, I'd say bleed the brakes, ABS check, and prop valve too. Are you not working on your trucks because of time, tools, age, etc? However, brakes are definitely something you want done by a pro, or at least someone who knows what they're doing.
  9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What you make them break:lol::rofl:.. Had give ya a little ribbing.

Another thing to check is the rear pads.. Since you didnt mention the last time they were replaced.. I have seen them do that.. But for sure run the codes, seeing as TB willed the light to come on.
  10. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

Have you ever replaced any of the rubber brake lines? When the rubber lines get old they can start to expand when you press on the brakes instead of moving all the fluid into the calipers. Since you said it pulls to the right it could be the left side hose expanding on you.