My Upgrade History

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by hammsfamms, Jun 27, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. hammsfamms

hammsfamms New Member

I decided to start a single thread about my upgrades instead of being obnoxious and posting a new thread for each one. So here's the history:

May 2010- purchased 1997 C1500 Ext. cab short box
    Agust 2010- removed rollup tonneau and added gull-wing style toobox- $80
    November 2010- Added brand new Michelin LTX M/S 31/10.5/R15 tires- $750
    Spring 2011- blacked out front-end- grille, side markers, went with a billet aluminum bowtie and black-housing aftermarket headlights ~$200 all said and done
    ~April 2011- powder coated bed rails and chevy racing reciever insert semi-gloss black $60
    June 2011- Airaid CAI with K&N cone filter $40 (craigslist woo-hoo!)

As you can see its become harder and harder to spend boat loads of money at a time, but I'm still having fun. Today I started the process of painting my Lund bug shield and Duraliner tailgate cap GM black (dupliclor). Started by sanding the bug shield down with 150 grit until it was nice and scuffed then I washed it with isopropanol to remove and dust and dirt from sanding.

For the tailgate cap I used a 3M brand automotive grinder attachment for my 18V cordless drill and scuffed up the aluminum real nice, making sure to get rid of all the blemishes and the duraliner decal. Then I primed 3 coats using duplicolor scratch filler primer. Here's what they look like right now:
    026.jpg 025.jpg

Next up I'll get them looking real nice with the duplicolor GM black, then once they're done I'll hit them with a few coats of duplicolor clear coat. Hopefully they turn out good, this is my first time painting accessories that are going to be seen by other people while I'm driving!

Oh the reason for painting the bug shield is that It was basically a translucent dark color, not really black. It was almost see-through and since it's really big I want I think it'll look much cleaner once it matches my black truck!

Comments and suggestions are appreciated and I will keep updating this with my upgrades from here on out!
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Big list of mods & a lot of work Hamm. Love those black trucks :)
  3. hammsfamms

hammsfamms New Member

okay here they are after a few coats of duplicolor GM black and duplicolor protective clear coat
    005.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 001.jpg

here's a few before pictures for reference; i'm fairly happy with the way it turned out. I'm not the biggest fan of the texture of rattlecan painting but for the price and the small things I'm doing I think it's worth it.
  4. hammsfamms

hammsfamms New Member

006.jpg 008.JPG

there's the before pics for reference I forgot them in the last post
  5. pmf608

pmf608 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Looks good, but I do have some advice about your comments on the texture. Rattle can paint doesn't have to have that texture. What I like to do is after the color and before the clear, wetsand it with 1000 grit sandpaper to get the paint nice and smooth. After that, you put on your clear, and once it is dry wetsand it with 1000 grit then 2000 grit sandpaper. It is more work, but if your paint is thick enough to do this, the results can look like they were professionally painted.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I agree with pmf608, wet sanding makes a big differance. I like to even wet sand my primer before I apply paint color, wet sand and clear coat, wet sand.
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The trucks looking good.
  8. hammsfamms

hammsfamms New Member

hey thanks for the advice so now that its all done and dry I can still wetsand it without ruining anything? I just might do that to finish it up where do you get the 000 or 2000 grit paper?
  9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Any auto store should carry 1,000 and 2,000 grit sand paper. Make sure you get wet and dry paper. Have a bucket of water near you when sanding so you can keep dipping the paper in the water and rinsing what you are sanding.
  10. hammsfamms

hammsfamms New Member

Alright time for some more updates...

The bad news: my tailgate cap did not hold the paint very well; as soon as I put something in my bed that layed across it it got all scratched up. Oh well I'll redo some other day.

The worse news: my fuel pump finally decided to poop out on me.

The good news: My buddy happened to be driving by when It happened; used a chevy to tow a chevy, nice. So yesterday a friend and I underwent the grueling fuel pump replacement process. Actually It wasn't that bad because we had air tools and went the easy route. I cut an access panel in my bed and dropped the new one right in. I think the hardest part was getting the old sending unit off, as the corrosion on the nuts was terrible. I'll post a write-up if anyone wants one, as overall I thought it was a fairly easy fix and the only thing I paid for was the pump and sending unit. Saved me about $700 on a shop job, so I'm pretty happy.