Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My wife is gonna kill me!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by quartermoon14, Oct 11, 2011.

1. quartermoon14

quartermoon14 New Member

After five years and 45k, it's time for new tires on the Suburban. I have spent endless hours researching, pricing etc tires online and talking with local dealers. I thought I was set on the General Grabber HTS, but after talking to a trustworthy tire dealer, he swayed me against them because the tread life is incredibly short. I refuse to pay for Michelin, I put under 10k/ year on the truck, I tow a 28' travel trailer 2-5 times a year, off road is limited to gravel roads and grass, we do get our fair share of snow here in northern MD but wet roads are more of a concern to me and I'd like to keep the price under $160/tire. Tires I am considering...265 70 17
    Kumho Venture AT
    General Grabber HTS
    Toyo Open Country AT
    Toyo open Country HT
    Cooper Discoverer CTS or AT3
    Nitto Dura Grappler (recommended by tire dealer)

Your thoughts and suggestions please as not only am I bugging the hell out of my wife, but it's also starting to get my head spinning!
    Thanks.
  2. marko54

marko54 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Dont overlook Goodyear dura tracs, However from your list, i would also consider the Nitto's.
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I have had the kumho's and they did well in all categories except tread life. I only got about 24k out of them mostly highway. I am a big fan of Coopers and the new AT3's are supposed to be real good. Dura tracs are getting real good reviews, but they are a AT MT hybrid. I only point it out because I see on your list is HT and AT's so just in case you dont want to go that aggressive of a tread. Nittos and Toyos are good as well but are usually on the higher priced side.
  4. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I have run Cooper tires in the past and am currently running Uniroyal Laredo Crosscountry. I should get 45,000 miles out of them and the price was about $122 per tire mounted and balanced before taxes.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I'd go with the Cooper AT3.