1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mykks' install of the Autoloc tilt hood hinge kit

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by 04SilveradoMykk, Jun 1, 2008.

1. 04SilveradoMykk

04SilveradoMykk Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey everyone,

I thought I would post up the most recent modification to my 2004 Silvy. Installing a Autoloc tilt hood hinge kit. Or as I call it, the Suicide Hood. (cause it sounds cooler)

I am finding myself at more shows & cruise ins, and I wanted to do something to seperate myself from the crowd. And here it is...

The Autoloc kit: part # tilthd

[​IMG]

Step one: Find where you're going to mount the brackets. I, obviously, needed them to be on the radiator support. I intended to weld the brackets to the support until I found out the rad support is aluminum and the brackets are powder coated steel.

[​IMG]

Step 2, Mock up:

Remeber the old rule, measure a million times to cut once, this project is no exception.

A mock up of how the whole hinge assembly will sit.

[​IMG]

This is when I discovered a hood clearance issue with the location of the heim joints. So I needed to flip the brackets around to move the joints back an inch.

[​IMG]
  2. 04SilveradoMykk

Step 3, making your mark:

With the hood barely open, just enough to squeeze an arm in and mark the location of the brackets mounting pads on the hood. Removed the hood and made the commitment to drill holes into my freshly painted steel cowl hood.

As you can see, I was lucky enough that two of the mounting pads lined up with a hood support brace. The rear two pads did not, so I made a bracket out of aluminum stock to connect the pads and mount in the center.

[​IMG]

Say good bye to the convientional way of opening the hood. This is the last time anyone will see it the way that GM intended.

[​IMG]

Step 4, improvise:

To address the issue of the old hinge, you simply notch the hood mounting point and allow the shoulder of the old hinge bolt to be your catch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. 04SilveradoMykk

A few minor tweaks, a few alignment changes of the hinge bolts and everything moves smoothly. There is however one hitch, with my application you can now only open the hood so far before the hood hits the grill. I also employed a long screw driver as a hood prop.

Now I know what your thinking, "It's going to be a major pain in the arse to do any work under the hood". But all in all, it's not as bad as it looks. I've already changed the plugs, changed the oil, torqued the header bolts and R&Red the cold air intake for a cleaning. Really, the hood does not get in the way. And if I do have any major work to do, or need to get up by the cooling fans, the hood comes completely off with two 3/8" bolts.

The After pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. 04SilveradoMykk

[​IMG]

My friends want me to call it the "Silverette" cause of the corvette styled hood. I can't bring myself to do it, give me a LS7 and than we'll talk ;)

Cheers ~Mykk
  5. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's an awesome mod and a sick truck!! Good job!! :great:
  6. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That looks awesome! I think you'd have a hard time changing the radiator tho :glasses:
  7. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

dude that looks fricken amazing!!! i like those headlights
  8. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Great mod! I bet it stands out at shows!
  9. GoFastPadre

GoFastPadre Rockstar 100 Posts

I like it man. Do mine next! Looks their could be another contender for ride of the mont!