1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Myrtle Beach

Discussion in 'SC - South Carolina Chevy Truck Club' started by skivhere, Feb 23, 2008.

1. skivhere

skivhere Rockstar 100 Posts

I am taking a trip to Myrtle sometime in August with the family. I have taken to driving on the beaches of North Carolina in the Outer Banks over the last year or so and was wondering if MB had any 4wd beach access areas? Haven't found anything online yet, so I was wondering if anyone knew anything?
  2. rokntoy

rokntoy New Member

Not as far as I know but if you like driving on NC beachs the autobahn society is trying to shut down driving on NC coast.
  3. dryfuss10

dryfuss10 Rockstar 100 Posts

no driveing on the beaches except for emergency personal
  4. 98GMCSierra1500

98GMCSierra1500 New Member

no driving on the beaches...
  5. skivhere

That's alright, thanks anyway. Never made it, too expensive a trip at the time. Fuel alone would have killed us!! I am so glad those prices went back down!
  6. anthonyl9

anthonyl9 Rockstar 100 Posts

Im planning a trip to OBX this fall. September actually, rented on e of those houses onthe 4x4 beaches in OBX and want to know if anyone has any advise fro over sand driving.

thanks
  7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The wider your footprint the more flotation you will have on the sand. You can air down your tires to get a wider footprint. I used to take mine down to about 10 LBS. It all depends on the tire and the weight of your truck. If you are going to air down its always a good idea to bring a compressor or air tank with you.
  8. 05-Burb

05-Burb New Member

Try Assitigue Island in VA. they have a place at the beach entrance/exit with tire pumps and a place to prep the truck before and after the sand. really nice setup.
  9. skivhere

That's awesome that you are renting one of those places, it should be nice and quiet back there. I always wanted to, but can't afford to.
    When driving on the sand, watch the tides. The easiest times will be at low tide and you can get out on the packed sand when the water goes out. Jimmiee is right, you want to get the widest footprint available. The little 12V compressors will work, but take forever unless you pay a good amount for one. When you get off the beach and heading towards town, there isn't anywhere close by to air up, so I would recommend getting a good quality pump. Also, I usually air down to around 20 psi...I've actually made it about 2 miles in before I aired down before in my 'burb. I did it mostly because I was getting nervous and didn't want to get stuck!
    Also make sure you have some straps or a winch incase you do get stuck. If you have a winch, they make a nice device that looks like a boat anchor that will work in the sand.
    And have fun!!

I am hoping that my family will be down there in a couple weeks...we didn't get to go last year since the trans was going and I didn't trust it!
  10. Henchman

Henchman Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I used to live in NC when i was stationed out there. We drove on the beach on the military base all the time. As far as Myrtle...I don't really know that they will let you drive on the beaches down there. That is a hugh populated tourist beach so they probably don't allow that.