Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Mysterious Odometer reset?!

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Morganwal, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Morganwal

Morganwal New Member

Alright guys, so all the lights on my cluster had slowly been going out on the dash of my 2005 silverado 1500, so I did the led swap and when i went to put it back in somehow the odometer had reset itself to 0 miles. has 77,500miles. Does anyone know how to fix it back to normal, or something i can do to put the miles back the way they were, (winding something up??) other than driving?? They truck runs great but im OCD and this is bothering me.

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome to the club!!!

It sounds like the board wasn't isolated when the LEDs got soldered in, and you probably burned up the little led screen. I don't think that's serviceable, you would have to buy a new gauge cluster and have the dealer flash the new one. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

3. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Just for clarification, you are talking about the total odometer and not the trip odometer, yes? Also, my 2001 Silverado has an engine hour meter. Does yours have that and if so, did that reset as well?

4. I was wondering the same thing, I bet he means trip odometer because I've literally NEVER heard of the main odometer doing that...bet the battery died or something...

- - - Updated - - -

And no, you can't push it forward.

5. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

If its the actual Odometer, Drive it for a couple years, the value of your truck just went up!

Just kidding, Get that looked at.

6. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

In any case, write down the actual mileage it had when it reset. There will be a time when you will have to disclose the actual mileage, like when you sell it.

Craigslist: 2005 Chevy Silverado for sale. Like new. 129 original miles. :lol:

7. Morganwal

Morganwal New Member

Sorry! I've been really busy with work, yes it reset everything! *engine hours, trip a and total odometer. Does anybody have any ideas as to how to what I should do to fix it or what was going on?

8. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I think the ECM keeps track of the miles. Maybe there is a broken connection back there behind the panel that is keeping the mileage from showing. Is it accumulating any milage now?