Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mystery Plug = What is it?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Huntr, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

Changed the oil in my '97 K1500 suburban last night. When I went to do the filter, I saw a plug hanging down. I have no idea what it goes to. It's the orange plug on the gray wrapped wire in the attached picture. It hangs right below the oil filter, by the driveshaft and the front o2 sensor. Truck is running fine, but I would like to re-attatch the plug to whatever it is supposed to connect to. Any ideas?

Mystery Plug 02.jpg Mystery Plug 01.jpg
  2. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

Found it!

It's the connector for the block heater.
  3. WARLOCK

WARLOCK Member

block heater plug.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

5. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

Yep. Have used Fram for years. Over a million miles on different vehicles, all with Fram filters. Never a problem with the engines in any of them. None went on their merry way with less than 150K on the clock.
  6. Pikey

I am glad to hear that you have never had any issues. Do you get any ticking at start up? I have had a lot of trucks with fram filters come in for oil changes that make all kinds of noise at start up. After putting a wix or an AC on them the noise goes away. I have heard that the anti back flow valve in the fram is the cause of the noise. Letting oil flow back down, leading to dry starts. Could be a bunch of crap by fram haters.
  7. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

Nope, no ticking.
  8. TMair

TMair Member

And I have seen WIX blow off of the threads, I have also seen Fram do it too, I think every once in a wile you get a bad one from no matter which brand you choose, personily I think they are just about all made in the same factory, just different branding, and different grades, but that's just my opinion.
    Terry
  9. Pikey

This is also just my opinion. I have no solid facts to go upon. There are a bunch of websites that tout fram as a very poor filter, that being said, you can't believe everything you read online. I prefer to spend the dollar more and get the AC filter. Actually I don't spend anything. I get my oil, fuel filters and spark plugs for free. :) But, when I don't have a AC in "stock" and I have to buy a filter I will only buy AC