Narrow K2500 Burb rear axle?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by KidHauler, Jan 30, 2009.

1. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I know I've seen the answer to this somewhere, but I can't find it now.

Why is the rear axle on a '99 3/4 T Suburban more narrow than the front?

I've heard that; it helps traction, better steering radius due to length, overweight squat keeps tires from rubbing back fenders, longer front control arms have something to do with it, the locker gets pissed in corners, yada,yada,yada

Can any of you provide the answer?

My taxes will provide new 265's, my OCD wants them to line up straight.

Thanks

2. KidHauler

Please pardon my ignorance, but how do I move this to the "Suspension..." section?

I'm hoping for a little better luck.

Thanks,
    Dusty

3. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

If you have a look at most, if not all 4x4's, they are made that way purposely and the reason is for traction in 4WD. If your front & rear tires were in perfect alignment your traction would suck, especially in snow. When you are in 4WD your tires need to bite the surface to get traction and cut a path in snow or some other terrain where you are travelling, Once the suface gets compacted by the weight of your truck the rear wheels need to bite as well. If the rear tires are travelling in the same rut as the front and the surface is compacted by the front tires the rear tires have nothing to bite on to get traction. However, if the tracking is different between the front and the rear, one set of tires is always biting on a partly untravelled surface which gives you more traction. Hope this helps

4. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yeah that always bothered me as well. You can get wheel spacers to make them even with the front tires.

5. KidHauler

Thanks, guys.

That's pretty much what it is; it just looks funny. I read in another thread that, with spacers, the truck is more stable while towing, but I don't know if it would worth the money for the limited months of use.

On another note... Jacqson, awesome Burb! When we saw your pictures, my 12yo said "Whooaa.." another yes for dad when it's time to customize...

Dan, you have the homemade bumper, right? Mind if I copy your plans? I've been trying to find one that isn't so dang big and fancy, or that go back this old.

Thanks again, fellas,

Dusty

6. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks Dusty, I appreciate the compliment. If I can be of any help when you want to customize, let me know.

7. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The bumper on my jeep? If you want next time I'm home I can get the dimensions for you if you want :great: