1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NASCAR Steering Systems

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Big_Mike, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

Just wanted to get some opinions on a recent thought I had. I realize that NASCAR stock cars have steering boxes equipped (mandated by rules). The recent switch to fuel injection has me wondering if NASCAR will ever make more changes, like to rack and pinion steering? There may or may not be any advantages to this change, but I was wondering what you guys and gals thought? Even if you don't like NASCAR, please be nice!!!
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I've been watching NASCAR for a little over 20 years now. My sig will tell you who I follow. :D

Power steering has be on the cars for quite a while now. At least as long as I have been following it. I don't think the type of steering will ever really matter. Except for the two road courses, all they do is turn left. They go into the corner, turn the wheel left and hold it there until they exit the corner. Truthfully, I don't know much about steering mechanics but I just don't see how the type of steering would make a difference for their style (circle track) of racing.
  3. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

I know NASCAR is really popular, but seriously it's like watching paint dry.

As far as steering goes, [MENTION=56140]McClintoc[/MENTION] said it best, all the NASCAR guys do is turn left and stand on it, so steering precision is not a important as race cars that do a road course with lots of turns.
  4. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

Point made. Thanks for the replies.