1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Nashville on my mind

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by donyms, May 11, 2012.

1. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hello Guys and girls, well as allot of you know I have been looking for a place to live away from the coast here and a job. Well, I have applied at a few places in Tennessee and a few in North Carolina. It is looking like the most jobs in my line of work seem to be in the Nashville area. My question is, does any one on here know Nashville and could you tell me all you can about it. Climate, snow per year, people, cost of living, bugs, taxes, do they have front license plates, house rentals and anything else you know that you think may help me in my decision. Any knowledge you can share will be appreciated, good, bad and the ugly. Thanks everyone. :glasses:

2. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Born and raised in Mphs and Jackson TN for ten, have been driving trucks around Nashville for years. If I moved up there and depending on where you found work would be in the surronding towns north side White House , Springfield to Lebanon, Gallatin, southeast side Laverne, Smyrna. (Brentwood and Franklin very high dollar).Columbia ,Tn to the west Dickson is good. can't tell you about apts except maybe higher rents would be better. Doubt if you would find a house to rent under $1,200 mth. bugs not to bad and snow / ice maybe once or twice a year . No front tags in TN $78 dollars a year varies slightly depending on which county and town you live in. Get used to lots of traffic ,crazy drivers ,construction and be very careful where you park your truck with those rims .

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  3. GMCErica

GMCErica Rockstar 3 Years GMTC Chick 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Hey D!
    Well, if you come to the SOUTHERN Meet, it is in NASHVILLE, TN, you can check it out and see if you like it.. I am glad that you are doing well, good luck with the searching!! Keep us posted.. :)

4. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

It is my understanding that they have the best music in the world close by:lol:

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Umm, we'll have to agree to disagree on that, Coach.

6. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Yup Surealone I know you like that head banging fizzed out stuff. But I don't think it originated in Nashville.

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Head banging? Not me...

8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I was just in Nashville the end of last month. The traffic is heavy, the drivers are nuts, and the music is great. I don't know if you ride motorcycles or not but I saw something there I haven't seen in many other areas. Both Harley and sport bike riders riding together. I was a little surprised when I saw that.

9. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I live 30 miles from Nashville. Traffic can be interesting during the commutes but I've been in cities with much worse traffic. No state income tax, property taxes are fairly reasonable (some counties more reasonable than others). They have been steadily improving/widening the freeways which has helped with the traffic flow.

Snow varies by year. Most years we'll get one or two decent (over 4 inches) snows per year, this last year it only snowed twice and it never stuck. The year prior though, we had our first white Christmas in something around 20 years. Two years before that, it was in the 50s on Christmas Day (I drove through on my way to Oklahoma from Fort Knox that year). Average high in January (coldest month of the year) is around 35 or 40 I believe. Summers aren't nearly as bad as back home in Oklahoma, not quite as hot or as humid I think the average high in late August (hottest time of year) is around 90 or so. To get a cooler climate, you have to go about two states north where the snow and cold will be far greater.

Cost of living in Nashville itself is comparable to most cities its size, however, living in one of the adjacent counties will drop your cost of living fairly considerably. The people as a whole are very friendly and there have been multiple times when people have pulled over to offer assistance when I've been helping friends out broken down on the highway. Once even a police officer pulled over to check on us and then went and picked up some water for us one time when I was fixing a car and it was in the low 90s or so. That was a first for me and I was quite impressed. I've gotten to know several of the local police and sheriff deputies in my County (Rutherford County, one of the adjacent ones), and they are quite helpful and like to get out in the community and mingle with the people.

Not sure how much you are into car shows/cruise ins, but in the city I live in (Murfreesboro), there is a cruise in that runs from late May till either late September or early October. Usually has a pretty good showing, and it's not just classics. There are a lot of modern cars and even some really nice trucks that show up regularly. There are also plenty of car shows that take place over the course of the summer. I don't usually show up since my Camaro isn't anywhere close to finished, but I do show up to the cruise in pretty often. We usually have at least 200 cars show up most weeks and as many as 600 on occasion.

Sorry I haven't been able to help more, but I don't know enough of your line of work to really know where to look. So I'm glad you've found some places to apply. Hopefully you do find something up here, it would be nice to have some more board members in this area. All in all though, it's a nice area to live in. I'm not from here and I've liked it better than anywhere else I've lived since I left Oklahoma. I highly recommend it, but I would suggest you live in one of the surrounding counties. The southern and eastern suburbs are typically the nicer ones. There's not near as much to the north or west.

Long winded I know, but hopefully it helps.

10. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Donyms Being a native Nashvillian I can tell you most of what you want to know. Let's start by the weather, it seems as if we have the best of both worlds here. Hot humid 6 to 7 months of the year and rather cold winters with not alot of snow. Although it seemed to have snowed alot more when I was a kid. Overall it's seems to have a pretty good balance. SupplySgt. Is right by saying the surrounding counties are a little cheaper to live in. However the nicer ones like Mt. Juliet and Hendersonville a not cheaper but are alot nicer. Some of the cheaper place can be quite a commute if your working in Nashville. There is no front license plates and people don't know how to drive. But it's the only city I've lived in so I don't have anything to compare it to. There's lots of events to do and entertainment is never a problem. From what I hear the cost of living is very reasonable for a city if it's size and they are growing extremely fast. We have a pro football and hockey team, and the games are a blast to go to. The people for the most part are freindly especialy compared to the ones I meet on a trip up North I once took. I think most people would enjoy the city and all it has to offer. To me it's kind of like big city and small town living all rolled into one. It would be great to have someone so invovled in the club so close, and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have that I didn't cover.:great::great: