1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Navigation Systems: OEM or after market?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by medicmatt, Dec 29, 2011.

1. medicmatt

medicmatt Member 100 Posts

Ok, so I've got the new truck, and I love it. But of course, like any other truck I'm compiling my list of things I want to do to upgrade it. One of the things on my list is to add a navigation system. From what I have read, the existing radio in my 08 Silverado LT can be switched out with an after market double DIN system so that I can have a flush in dash system.

So, for those of you that have nav, did you go with OEM or after market? Why and why not? What did you put in, and what do you like/not like about it?

Thanks!

2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

When it comes to navigation, I will say I prefer a portable model for 2 reasons. A portable will cost about a 5th of an In-dash model with all the same features or in most cases more. The portables are also upgradeable. Most of the new models come with lifetime map and live traffic upgrades, while the in-dash models in most cases are what they are at the time of installation. Very few in-dash models offer any type of upgrades.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  3. redneck70

redneck70 Rockstar

^X2 if your just looking for navigation get yourself a Garmin GPS. It's way cheaper and you don't have to rip your dash apart to install it.

4. marko54

marko54 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I went with Kenwoods DNX 6180. I didnt want a nav. system dependent on a disc. The garman mapping, bluetooth, Ipod/Iphone controls all work great. One of these days i will get the rear camera 010.jpg

5. medicmatt

Some of the models now can be updated using SD cards so it is something to consider. I have a portable GPS, but I have to admit, after having the touch screen in dash on the car I just traded, I've gotten spoiled.

Hey marko, how do you update your maps on that model?

6. marko54

marko54 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

From what i read, you update the same way by going to garmin and using an SD card. The only reason i'm not sure is because mine was just installed the week before black friday. I dont know the date of mfg. of my unit if it matters, however it seems to be up to date as is. It pulls up Newly named streets in a subdivision near my house and i havent updated mine so far

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a Kenwood Excelon DNX6960. GPS in it is Garmin. You can upgrade it from a micro SD card or from a USB drive. I flashed it to the latest firmware and the latest free Garmin update for it and have yet to need to upgrade it for maps in the triangle area. (The new toll portion of 147 coming out of Durham likely isn't on it...) I'm very pleased with the unit.

8. medicmatt

Cool. Might have to meet up with you sometime and check out your system.

9. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Its good to know the new in dash models are beimg made upgradable. That makes more sense!!!!!!

10. Mzarb28

Mzarb28 Member

Hey surr, how do you like that kenwoos, I just ordered one, was the install easy??